Product curation meeting #16 notes - 30 June 2020

Continuing the discussion from Product curation meeting #15 notes - 16 June 2020:

Done since last time we met

n/a

Current view of product roadmap

In play

1. SCA Compliance phase 1 (@lin_d_hop + @luisramos0) - ready to start switching over to it, need v3 or a patch release before rollout can continue

2. Mobile shopping improvements (@danielle + @maikel) - view cart upgrade is in V3 and being rolled out. All else on hold for V3.

3. Spree 2.1 + Rails Upgrade (@Rachel + @luisramos0) - Some issues with the current version, rollout is on standby until the bugs are resolved. Katuma, Germany and Belgium on V3, plus India and Brazil made the jump themselves. Need to decide on what we should fix as a priority. This will be in next couple of days. Safest bet is to say we’re delayed by at least a week. Need a retro to understand why this is happening again, feels a bit like groundhog day with the problems that are happening, not sure they could have been avoided but worth discussing. @rachel to add a link to the notes here.

4. The BI database replica stuff. (@lin_d_hop + @HarrietHolley + @Matt-Yorkley) Epic created in OFN Data here.

5. Hub’s suppliers can prepare individual orders for the hub’s customers (@Kirsten + @sauloperez) - Waiting for V3.

Next up

1. Allowing shoppers to agree on T&Cs (@lin_d_hop + @sauloperez) - stories in GH, ready to go.

2. History of invoice changes (@Rachel) - incepted last year, detail needs to be documented in GH.

3. Invoice number system (@Rachel) - incepted last year, detail needs to be documented in GH.

4. Consumer price comparison (?) - inception required

5. Networking pt 1 (@Kirsten + @luisramos0 + @Mario ) - scope conversation last week led to stripping back scope to be leaner for version 1. This will be worked on further to get it to the point of designed.

6. Adapted weights and measures (@Kirsten or @lin_d_hop + hopefully @luisramos0?) - work stalled due to chaos in the US.

7. Improved reporting (@HarrietHolley + @lin_d_hop + @Matt-Yorkley) - draft roadmap built and ready for input, tax report first, then BI/Metabase, then in-app and API work. Tax report is now being focused on (inception).

Notes on topics covered in the session

Prioritising work on the replica DBs (for BI)

• Allows instance managers to solve so many problems that grind them to death. So has a really high value for a small piece of work.
  • Has been prioritised as the next important thing after the Spree rollout (V3), and SCA/Mobile work.

Matomo implementation on shopping flow

• First round looking at shopping flow and quantifying the product unavailable problem. Looking at firstly how often this event occurs, and the time between putting it in the cart and having the error display.
  • Checkout funnels were set up(success + when error is displayed), along with error events, to try and track these.
  • Results: not that many instances of this error showing, small number which means it’s a sev 3 kinda thing.
  • Wasn’t possible to understand the time between adding to cart and then error appearing. But do we need it given it’s not as frequently occurring as we originally thought?
  • @mbudm will create a how to so they can see how to set up the funnels/events and then how to check the logs. Post in super admin guide, @kirsten will show how to do this.
  • Issue around Matomo being a global licence, and so traffic will increase as more people use it. @rachel to investigate if the extra activity via Matomo is increasing charges. Will decide on further rollout based on understanding this.

Reports product vision

• Good product vision session during the week, focused on next priorities plus technical solution.
  • Looking to bring it up to a higher view to get an understanding of what we want it to achieve. North star or common goals, whatever. So it’s easier to make decisions.
  • @HarrietHolley had a stab at a project vision, but from a product perspective were looking at something that was like the biz model canvas (lean canvas).
  • Question as to whether this is a good idea to do, and to set up a session?
  • Crowd seems ok with it, session to be set up.

on the rollout

Safest bet is to say we’re delayed by at least a week.

yes, I agree

Need a retro to understand why this is happening again

I am not sure the again word here, same as v2?
v2 and v3 are completely different sizes. v2 was massive. I think v2 was pretty ok for such a massive change in the system.
v3 is relatively small release. This time I feel I failed badly at predicting these problems, I was not expecting this for such a small release.

not sure they could have been avoided but worth discussing

The causes for all these issues are quite varied, I’ll post a few things now:

• we now think the major checkout problem is related to a change in rails 4 not present in the rails 4 upgrade guide related to the clone method (used in cloning user addresses on checkout). I dont understand why we didn’t see this in staging. Maybe a test case not validated: user saves the ship address as the their default ship address.
  • the problem with images in BE was related to a change in spree that we didnt notice during dev and testing - we could have run a migration test: verify the data in v2 was correct after the upgrade to v3, namely system settings (I think email domain issue in India and Brasil will have the same cause, needs investigation)
  • we have one known issue in spree 2.1, change order shipping method in backoffice (we could have thought about bringing fixes from spree 2.1+ to our spree 2.1 version so that we wouldnt bump into them).

etc

We can do a better analysis later on.