What is the need / problem:
In 2 words: enable users to start integrate OFN with their custom tools, they can start using it if they want
The OFN has today a pretty wide, messy, ununderstood and undocumented API.
Meanwhile, more and more users ask us if we can provide them with our API so that they can : build customer reports, integrate with a warehouse management tool, integrate with accounting packages, integrate with POS, etc.
Who does it impact and what is the impact
Some hubs in all instances, and especially potential big actors like wholeselers that can’t use our system. Those users are the ones who potentially have more volumes sold, and are quite big contributors in our business model. So instance managers are also impacted in their capacity to build a sustainable business model.
What is the benefit in focusing on this
Time efficiency for food enterprise managers, who are the ones we want to focus on serving.
Ability to attract and gain high-volumes hubs who can be significant contributors in local business models.
Potential solutions that will solve this problem
1- To meet that very first level of need (get access to our API) there is one obvious feature candidate: document our current API so that the link to that documentation can be shared upon request.
Value x ease analysis and selection of our feature candidate
NA (only one candidate)
T-shirt size of the selected feature candidate
Metrics to measure if need is well satisfied after feature has been implemented
- Any OFN team member are able to access and share information on existing API (= they all know where it is)
Epic and/or project board where you can follow implementation
To be open when it is prioritized.
First brainstorm on story map
Apparently given the devs mentioned above it will be only one story.
Connected wishlist and product / tech discovery discussions:
- Roadmap toward OFN API (Rob’s investigation with Luis inputs): Road map for OFN’s API?
- Representing resources via API: Representing Resources via API
- Break OFN into domains: Breaking OFN down into Domains
- the API will support DATA interoperability: Data Food Consortium: making food platforms interoperable
- the API will support the technological diversity in terms of frontend dev: New frontend framework such as Angular/React/Vue/etc?
- the API will help supporting and building embeddable shopfronts: Embeddable Shopfronts - Whitelabelling
- the API CAN implement linked data: The future of OFN in a distributed web environment
- the API will help OFN integrate with other systems and help improve the overall architecture: Imagining the perfect platform / ecosystem session - Friday 8 Dec
- the API WILL support the implementation of networked ecommerce and other systems integrations: ‘Networked e-commerce’ overhaul [META]
- the API would help with implementing de-centralization of OFN, for example, managing distributed product catalogs (one of the main topics on this micro-services thread): Towards a microservice architecture?
General customer requests summary: Enabling OFN to integrate with external systems (POS, standalone websites, Odoo ERP modules, other plateforms with DFC sandard, etc.)
- Standalone websites / user facing applications:
- Warehouse management:
- External mapping systems