'Tagging' for Products and Customers?

There are multiple wishlist features where use of tagging is being considered for implementation. If it was used in more that one of these places, we definitely need to think carefully about how they interact and are used

Customers

See discussion re. interface for enterprises managing customer accounts - focus on using tags to manage delivery runs

Also consider whether tagging could be useful for implementation of customer is member, volunteer, staff, retail or wholesale etc

Products / Variants

To provide more detailed information on a product (filterable in shopfront) - so enterprises can arrange and identify products as they wish

Considerations

• would we have the same tags applying to both products and customers - and would that be useful? e.g. both a product and a customer could be ‘wholesale’ enabling us to ‘match them’
  • tags would potentially end up doing quite a lot of different things - could get confusing if we’re trying to apply them in different ways in different places?
  • if we did have a tagging system, it would be really cool to have a zapier / rule-management type interface that let users set their own rules

If Customer is tagged wholesale, shopfront restricts to products/variants tagged wholesale
If Customer is tagged member, checkout applies adjustment - 3%

I have a case I’m not sure how to manage…
Farmer X has a farm shop and sells directly to individuals.
I’m running a buying group, and as I buy big quantities, he gives me the price he gives to shops (30% discount on the farm shop price).

Should he set up his inventories with the farm shop, and create its order cycle for the final customer?
And then in my buying group I override the products applying a 30% discount, and then I add my fees on it?
Or should he set up the inventories with the wholesaling price, and have a second “shop” hub where he overrides himself his products? So that he has two different “shops”, one for the BtoB clients, one for the BtoC?

I would say the second option is the more fluid, but it can be confusing to have two hubs for the same entity…

I don’t really see how the tags could manage that?
What I understand with the tags is that a clients who is a hub could be tagged 'BtoB" and then have access to the order cycle with the wholsaling price.
If tagged “BtoC” then he will have access only to the farm shop with the final consumer price.
But does it mean that the farmer has to create a variant for each of its product? Because you cannot override a price of a product for an order cycle only, can you?

I think I’m a bit confused… :wink: @Kirsten @sstead

@wvengen @elf-pavlik @Selmo

I think tagging might not be the best avenue for this one - it is basically the use case for why we’ve developed variant overrides (currently in process of being converted to ‘inventory lists’). so i think that’s the middle case - where your buying group has the appropriate products / variants listed at the correct prices. Once the changes below are completed he would be able to hold a separate ‘wholesale list’ and a ‘retail list’ that can then be shared and applied to order cycles as is useful

Don’t know how long till this all done. @oeoeaio working on first phase at the moment but will depend on how much other ‘urgent’ stuff comes up

Basic instructions here (http://openfoodnetwork.org/platform/user-guide/advanced-features/variant-overrides/), but also may be worth a look through these notes so you can see what is changing