What is the need / problem
There are multiple bugs today with shipping / payment methods:
- if a method is used only by one enterprise it can’t be set up as “don’t apply” so it can only be deleted. So a user can’t temporary deactivate some method.
- when trying to solve it we realized that if you enable to set up as “don’t apply” a method, then if used only by one enterprise it just disappear from the enterprise view and only a super admin can restore it.
- when trying to solve that new bug we realized that in fact there a deeper issue with the data model connecting enterprises to shipping and payment methods and that we needed to review it in order to make possible:
1- for an enterprise to create and apply methods to any other enterprise they own or manage
2- for an enterprise to give permissions to other enterprises to “use” or “edit” their shipping and payment method
There is a pretty big job to incept properly and work our the UX of it so we decided we would wait for that problem to be prioritized before we move forward on it.
Who does it impact
All users managing multiple enterprises.
What is the current impact of this problem
Confusion as people create methods and they can’t uncheck the “apply” checkbox, they can only delete it so it’s really not good in term of UX
What is the benefit in focusing on this
Improve UX for hub managers and improve network ability for enterprises.
Links to more details
- Original issue: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/1517 (see PR connected)
- Second issue blocking the first one: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/2023 (see PR connected in which a spike has been done by Rob and Maikel)
Potential solutions that will solve this problem
- See comments from Rob and Maikel in the PR: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/pull/2039
- User will have to create shipping/payment methods for each hub and can’t carry shipping/payment methods to other hubs through their profile