Customers can View their Payments and Balance

Hi @stveep

Attached is the log for the failed buildkite.
uk-branches_build_36_test.docx (114.1 KB)

Failures in ./spec/features/admin/enterprises_spec.rb and ./spec/models/exchange_spec.rb

Sorry the log doesnā€™t format very well, but searching for ā€˜failā€™ will get the info. If itā€™s unworkable let me know and Iā€™ll screen print a few shots for you.

Thanks Steve!!

Sorry, our fault. Donā€™t worry about these failures: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/596#issuecomment-171825463

Hi @stveep,

Just wondering, does the Balance differentiate positive and negative balances? If I was to see my balance at Ā£8 I would assume Iā€™m in credit but it looks like actually the user owes Ā£8.

Thanks for taking a look :smile:

Hi everyone!
@lin_d_hop Iā€™m just wondering, because we have the same need (great to see you are working on it!) if you had also any ā€œbackofficeā€ version of that need?
As a hub manager I would like to see the total balance due to me by my customers, and see the detail by customer of course (and ideally be able to send a kind reminder if at some point the buyer has not paid ;-)) For example in ā€œcustomersā€, that would be great to see for the customers of my hub the balance for each customer (basically the same info you want your customer to be able to see)ā€¦
Do you also have that need or is it only on the front office on your side?
Ping @Olivier

Hi @MyriamBoure :smile:

You can use the report under Order Cycle Management - Payment Methods Report to see customers for a hub that have an outstanding balance. You can filter by Hub and Order Cycle as well.

This was implemented by me to fill this need for the UK team (so ping me with bugs if you spot them).

Let me know if you would like more functionality added to this. I can look into implementing for you.

Yes, it will change to say ā€œCredit $xā€ instead (and will style this green/red or something too). Youā€™re right that itā€™s confusing for a customer though if they only see that - I guess Iā€™ll change it to balance owed/due or something instead to make it clear. Spree only considers outstanding balances from the merchantā€™s point of view, unsurprisingly :wink:

OK this is on uk staging for now, so please add any tweaks/requests here!

My list so far:

• Smaller distributor logos, default to something sensible (tractor logo as in producers page?)
  • Some translations missing. I am guessing these need to be added to en-GB for UK. Is there any way to fall back to en.yml if a translation is missing rather than just show the translation key? I think we can mostly understand Australian :wink:
  • Also re translations, some of the text (order payment status) etc. comes direct from the database - can we assume that is already in the desired language or translated by spree in the case of order status etc?
  • The header of the page is a bit boring/blocky/crammed over to the leftā€¦any suggestions to make it look nicer??
  • Could be nice to have a background image a la producers page if someone wants to design oneā€¦

The page only shows orders with state: complete. Let me know if this is not correct.

Couple of screenshots below showing what happens with credit/debit. If all orders have been paid (ie balance zero, which I imagine will be the case for most) it doesnā€™t display anything, e.g. Simple Hub below.

@sstead reckon you could have a look over of this for @stveep and let him know if there are any things worth calling out that need changing? Thanks :smile:

Ping @CynthiaReynolds @Olivier @marito59 @Selmo @nickwhite @gnollet for info.
It looks great @stveep!!!
So that means, in the spirit of CSA, that we could have a hub that propose the members to put money in advance on their ā€œwalletā€ and use it slowly by buying in the hub (the pre-payement aspect of CSA models). Ping @Selmo about the discussion we had about your ā€œAMAPā€.
I just have a question @stveep on the "OFN Hub 3"case, why the number of the first order doesnā€™t appear? Even if itā€™s all pay and 0 balance, we should be able to see what order it refers to, no?
And also what happens if an ordered is adjusted (a product is mission for example). Then it adjust the amount in the ā€œvalueā€ colum and adjust accordingly the balance, am I right?

Hi @MyriamBoure, Iā€™ve made some fixes to the bugs in this report. Maybe you might like to have a look. Currently in PR #826 and due to go into v1.6. Also I seem to remember you also asking for some other features in these reports, but I canā€™t seem to track them down. Do you remember what they were?

Hi @lin_d_hop! Here it was: Customerā€™s payments / balance report.
I looked at the PR, but Iā€™m not sure I understand well, I need a crash course on code reading :wink: Cheers!

As @maikel has been going through my PR on this, I have been thinking about it some more. I got stuck trying to write an appropriate query and now Iā€™m wondering if my current implementation is actually showing what we want.

In the screenshots above, it displays all ā€œcompleteā€ orders, and the ā€œcompletedā€ payments for those that have them. If an order has no payments, it shouldnā€™t be ā€œcompleteā€, but it can be ā€œcompleteā€ and have incompleted payments with statuses like ā€œvoidā€, ā€œinvalidā€, ā€œcheckoutā€ etc.

My original thinking was that we shouldnā€™t show these, as they donā€™t count towards the balance for the order. However now Iā€™m wondering if it is useful to see some or all of these - so the user will know if (for example) a card payment was declined. We could do something like this:

E.g. in the screenshot above we would want to show the cash on collection orders, since they contribute to the balance owed by the user and thatā€™s probably useful information for them. Maybe more cryptic ones like ā€˜voidā€™/ā€˜invalidā€™ are not so usefulā€¦

@NickWeir, @lin_d_hop @MyriamBoure - what do you think? Would need some formatting changes to make clear which payments were not counting towards the balance of the order.

@maikel I think the query problem boils down to: we still need to get an order row from the database even if there are only incomplete payments, but [in the current implementation] only actually show the payments that are completed. I still canā€™t find a SQL or AR solution, and this made me think that it is more of a display/filtering issue rather than a data issue after all.

Thanks Steve. In my opinion it would be useful to see all payments. When I was involved in the day-2-day Stroudco management there were several shoppers who made payments that were not linked to orders and it would be very useful to see all payments (irrespective of the order they relate to). I will see if @Oliver has time to comment on this

I agree it would be useful to see all payment and order attempts, though obviously failed and cancelled wouldnā€™t contribute to the balance.
One thought in relation to Nicks point, as we can only have payments related to orders weā€™ll also need to accommodate payments of a higher value than the order as many customers wish to add credit to their accounts. I guess this is an added complexity to handling the ā€˜Completedā€™ state.
Thanks for this @stveep. Great thinking, I agree this change would improve usability from the customer perspective :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a tricky one because different hubs may well want to use this in many different ways. Like Nick says, if the balance is to be correct, then orders and payments should really be independent of each other, so that people can pay a monthly standing order, for example, and cover any order from their balance. Having said that, OFN isnā€™t meant to be bookkeeping software, so how far do you go?

On Stroudcoā€™s current software we are simply able to enter credit and debit amounts at will, which means we can use that functionality for credit notes, payments and any other balance adjustment, while invoices are entered by the software.

In the above screenshot you would include all amounts from all invoice (unless of course cancelled) in the balance and then reduce the balance with each payment or credit entered.

As far as Stroudco is concerned, Iā€™m actually planing on using online bookkeeping software to do all this, including showing balances. This is something thatā€™s changed since I took over the day-to-day running. The functionality thatā€™s being developed here is still important, though, in my opinion. Itā€™s just a question of where you draw the line.

Agreed @Oliver. I would like to explore that functionality in the future. But unfortunately it is outside the scope of this issue.
Itā€™s also one I would delay until after Spree upgrade.

@stveep thank you for all this! One thing Iā€™m not sure. For me itā€™s a bit confusing to see all values the same way, whether it be a negative or positive value. Especially the void case, the way it is displaied here is a bit confusing, for me it should be a form of ā€œpaiementā€, or treated as such as it comes as a negative amount on what is due (like a payment).
I donā€™t understand why the balance due doesnā€™t go up at the checkout line, itā€™s a bit confusing if I look at it as a userā€¦
I would rather have one line per order, when I order, the balance due goes up, and then when I make a payment one line per payment, and as mentionned, I agree that for me the paiment shouldnā€™t be linked to a specific order.

Hi @stveep, Iā€™ve had a test of this and it seems to be working well! What a great feature! One thing I havenā€™t tested is whether Paypal/Pin payments are captured. Thereā€™s also the questions of how many historical orders to load. Good stuff!

HI @sstead, thanks for testing it! What is the potential concern with Paypal/Pin payments? Is there anything special about payments of these types?

I guess we could load the last year by default? Any idea/data on how many orders users typically have?

In the meantime, Iā€™ve updated this to show unsuccessful payments. ā€œInvalidā€, ā€œVoidā€ or ā€œFailedā€ payments show with the little warning sign. ā€œPendingā€ or ā€œProcessingā€ are displayed without the warning but greyed out and not contributing to the order balance. So now all payment statuses except ā€œcheckoutā€ are being displayed.

cc @maikel, will put a PR in.

Hi @stveep, Paypal/Pin is just different in the sense that itā€™s not manually marked off as paid, but should be automatically captured. I just wanted to mention that I havenā€™t checked this is happening. I think we have a dummy paypal, i could check this with a 1c order if this gets tested again.

At most a user may have an order every week, once a week, for a year or two.