I started to investigate following discussion new paying Google Map API and also our will to try step by step to be more consistent.
Put a message on OSM forum to see if possible to find someone to help us when a user register an enterprise, to quickly and easily enable them to put a pin on the map if the address is not recognized.
It seems there are possible existing solutions:
- How to add a marker on an OSM map: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Browsing#Adding_a_Marker. It seems pretty straighforward actually…
- There is also the StreetComplete app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.westnordost.streetcomplete and https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=62884
It actually doesn’t seem so complicated, but I’m not a dev Here is how I see it:
- We connect the OSM address base.
- A user register an enterprise, type the address. If the address is not recognized by OSM base, modal page open with zoom already done depending on IP localization. and the pin is there ready to be put with a kind message “OFN contribute in enriching citizen mapping open source initiative Open Street Map. Please put the pin on our location !” and done.
- Eventually we can add for those who want to go further two or three option fields proposed by OSM, like url.
I don’t know how priority this is depending on Google API cost. @maikel @Kirsten any idea on this? If no priority we can just open a wishlist and prioritize as anything. Actually even if priority we need to do that. So this is the wishlist, let’s discuss and I will open an icebox.