Need help to fix ERR 500

I’m not sure if this is related to your problems at all, but I will just document one problem solution for the UK staging server. Just to understand the whole architacture of emailing:

• A mail method is configured in Spree (prod/stage dependend).
  • When a mail should be sent, that job is stored in the database.
  • A separate process (delayed_job) picks up jobs from the database and sends the email.
  • Delayed_job is started by a program called monit.
  • Monit has a system configuration file for delayed_job and checks every two minutes if delayed_job is running, restarting it if needed.

You see, there is a lot that can go wrong. For the UK, I checked the single steps to see what is working and what is not. One problem there was that monit was configured, but could not start delayed_job. There should be a file /etc/monit/conf.d/openfoodnetwork containing this:

check process openfoodnetwork_dj_worker_0
with pidfile /home/ubuntu/apps/openfoodnetwork/current/tmp/pids/delayed_job.0.pid
start program = "/bin/bash -c 'RAILS_ENV=staging /home/ubuntu/delayed_job.sh -i 0 start'"
as uid ubuntu and gid ubuntu
with timeout 120 seconds
stop program = "/bin/bash -c 'RAILS_ENV=staging /home/ubuntu/delayed_job.sh -i 0 stop'"
as uid ubuntu and gid ubuntu
with timeout 120 seconds
if mem is greater than 250.0 MB for 3 cycles then restart

There is a reference to /home/ubuntu/delayed_job.sh, it was manually added by me. The original script pointed to delayed_job.sh the repository’s script folder. Unfortunately, that script contains paths specific to the Australian servers. I needed to copy it and edit the paths. Then restart monit as root (careful: service monit restart as user doesn’t give a good error message, but doesn’t not reload the system configuration either).

I’m not sure if that is solved in the latest version of the deploy scripts, but it definitely needs attention. Otherwise email just won’t work.

1 Like