Internationalisation project notes

Done. You are a reviewer now.

Ok @maikel that’s done for France now :smile:For the “review”, how should we proceed? Should I ask someone else from the French team to review my translation now, or should we wait for the first “live” to see in context what has been wrongly translated? Because it depends quite a lot of the context… let me know! Oh, and I guess some peope should be willing to start soon the Spanish version :slight_smile: Ping @alvarosaco

1 Like

I already requested the language Spanish (es_ES) @MyriamBoure @maikel : )

@alvarosaco I added the language es to the project now. Would you like to maintain a separate es_ES as well?

@maikel I think we can start with the language “ES” and then replicate into ES_es. There are several changes and expressions with Spanish in different countries ES_ar, ES_co, ES_mx,…

Thanks!

Here is the first preview of a French Open Food Network: https://staging1.openfood.com.au/

User data like organisation names and product descriptions are still in English. That’s just our test data. But all the rest should be in French. Please have a look and report about everything that doesn’t look right.

Thank you!

Great @maikel! How do we report? Do you want us to list that in a spreadsheet? Or for changes in inappropriate translation, can we change directly in Transifex? When we change something in Transifex, is it automatically integrated or does it need any action?

When will it be tested for Norwegian? So that @sigmundpetersen and @CynthiaReynolds can plan time to test… Would be great if it could be maybe early next week, like Monday? So that we can take 2-3 days to test the Norwegian one… Thanks @maikel

I’m reviewing the translations for Norwegian now, 1/3 done. When this is done I guess the no.yml has to be exported (by maikel I guess) and put onto a staging server.

That’s correct. I need to download the language file, commit it to a branch and deploy that on the staging server so that it’s visible for everybody.

@MyriamBoure You can change the translated strings in Transifex. But if there is untranslated text, that means that I missed something when replacing all the text with references to the language file. You can report that here or open an issue at GitHub.

Had a quick look, just saw the ‘Orders closed’ was untranslated. (French staging)

Great @maikel, can you just confirm that you let the French version there until Sunday night?

Yes, I won’t touch it.

Ok @maikel, I modified different things in Transifex, and put in a document all the things that were not due to translations mistakes on my side (9 issues). Here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j8y_XvetQs9ueQ7fLhjceFyCqe_A7Q8_G_pWO1ih2_4/edit?usp=sharing
I guess most of those issues will be common with the Norwegian version (it seems to be confusion in strings replacement sometimes, or translations missing).
Please let me know if something is not clear.
Cheers :slight_smile:

Norwegian review is now complete

Great work @MyriamBoure. You found a lot. Most things were quite easy to fix. The untranslated contact links in the footer are stored in the database. You will be able to edit them in the admin panel. The same with the “à propos” link.

The only thing I haven’t solved yet are the open/closed symbols in the shop list. They are graphics within the font that can’t be translated automatically. We thought it would be good to have language independent symbols. @CynthiaReynolds was talking about doing that. Are you still up for that?

I had to add some more text blocks to the translation file. So there are 7 new strings to translate/review (@sigmundpetersen) . Once that’s done, I can update staging1 and you can check if I got everything right.

Great @maikel:-) I just realized that we had forgotten the food hub sign up page (quite tricky, when we click in the upper banner “interested in selling food?” it redirect the the general OFN website instead of the food hub page…) anyway, I added one point in the document (n°10), about the things we need to be able to customize about the offer to hubs (hubs story, entreprise accounts and the scheme of how it works).
Let us know @CynthiaReynolds if you manage to come up with something universal… if not @maikel you can put the source files of all those things (I guess also the “here’s how it works” scheme, etc) somewhere so that we can customize and translate them.

Re: open/closed icons, I was thinking we could go with something out of the open source google icon fonts repository. more of a lock/unlock version than open/closed. As it is the most understood universal concept.
They are scalable and will be easy to incorporate. You can see them here: https://www.google.com/design/icons/
Let me know if you want to go with these, or if you want me to make something custom :slight_smile:
screenshot of the locks:

ping @MyriamBoure @maikel

I’m just wondering, because the lock for me refers to the “need password to enter” or “open”… like it would mean for me “it’s a shop I need a login, to be a member of, to enter” or "it’s open to everyone. I would visualize more something like a front shop with a door open, and a light bulb in it, and another one with the metallic front shop closing and dark light… but maybe it’s hard to design and there is something simpler :wink: Or even just a white open door with a light bulb, or a close dark brown door… I’m not very good at that :wink:

Yeah, I have the same associations with the lock symbol. I thought about the door as well, but that’s difficult. Scrolling through the icons, … what about a clock? Order cycles depend on time. And that an order cycle is closed just means you have to wait. Wait, there are loading icons as well. There are many possibilities. Just from that page I could imagine two of these:

What do you think?