Internationalisation project notes

@maikel there is a “en:” at the begining of the file should we change that as well? I didn’t change it in the fr file…

@MyriamBoure Great work. Thank you. You are right, the “en:” has to be changed to “fr:”. But don’t worry about it. I will change it.

We are very careful with the master branch, because that is the version running live on our production server. If someone would put a text like “See more here:” without quotes into a language file, that would break everything.

For now it’s probably best if every language group has its own branch.

Oh… I didn’t understand the i18n branch was the master branch? I’m sorry but I’m pretty new to all that, I thought we could use that branch as it’s not the master branch :wink: @maikel o you want me to redo the process and put the fr.yml file in a new branch fr_language or do I live it like that? And I can change the “en” at the same time :wink:

@MyriamBoure all good. The i18n branch is not the master branch. Everything is fine for now. I’m still working on that though. I’ll post here when I have something new (Javascript content translations).

I added/commited the Norwegian translations with no.yml to the branch. Hope this was ok.

I tested the French and Norwegian language files today. You change one variable in the server configuration and the site is in another language. That’s really cool. I’m looking forward to see that in production. Just wanted to share that it’s awesome to see the results of your work.

There will be some more work though. I finished the string replacement in Javascript views. The English language file has a lot more text blocks now. It’s in a new branch: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/i18n-replace-strings-in-js/config/locales/en.yml

You can start translating again. But don’t push directly to the branch, please. Open a pull request instead. Otherwise our work gets a bit mixed up and it’s more difficult to follow what’s happening.

@sigmundpetersen: I had to rename no.yml to nor.yml. A locale named “no” causes an error somewhere else in the software. I don’t know why yet.

I still have some cleanup work to do. My changes to the Javascript cause some tests to fail. But we are not far.

1 Like

That’s great @maikel! When you’re already renaming the file maybe you could try nb.yml in stead (it is for “Norwegian bokmål” one of the 2 official languages in Norway) if it’s not too much problem.

Sorry for messing up in github, just not that experienced in working with it. (Am experienced in SVN though). So you suggest we make our own branch, do our translation work and send a pull request from there?

@sigmundpetersen Ah, nb, I was wondering about that. I can do that change, no problem.
And yes, creating a pull request from your own branch would be ideal. You can do that even from within GitHub. Go to the file, click edit, make your changes or paste your local copy. Then, at the bottom, you can decide to create a branch and a pull request in one go instead of committing straight away.

Update: we try Transifex to make translating easier: https://www.transifex.com/open-food-foundation/open-food-network/

Instead of translating your locale file from the repository, you can visit the Transifex project site, login and start translating the most recent version.

Feedback welcome!

good work!
I signed up and am looking forward to using transifex!
There seems to be more than one option for the norwegian bokmål language. I selected both and will wait to be accepted in

I am in, and it works like a charm!

Good to hear.

I find the interface a bit confusing as an administrator. But I understand more and more.

@CynthiaReynolds I’m not sure why we have two Norwegian languages now. I set up Norwegian Bokmal (nb). But when you joined, Norwegian Bokmal Norway (nb_NO) came up. Transifex treats these as two different languages and they could have differences. Maybe you signed up as Translator for Norway (nb_NO) and that’s why Transifex thinks you are offering to translate to nb_NO instead of just nb. Should we delete one of them again? Or would you like to mainain two Norwegian languages (Bokmal and Bokmal spoken in Norway).

We still need someone for French. If someone would like to translate, but does not want to use Transifex. You can still take the source files and work it out yourself. Then do a pull request via GitHub or send that language file via email to me. We are still exploring the workflow, but Transifex looks like the most convenient way at the moment. It’s free for open source projects.

Odd that they are treated as different languages. I imagine deleting one of them is the way to go.
Nice to know that Transifex is free for open source projects :slight_smile:

Okay, I deleted nb_NO since it is the more specific one.

Great job @maikel! I was very busy the ast days but we’ll sign up in Transifex to finish the French translation :slight_smile: Looking forward to see the result!

@maikel I just sign in, that looks really good! I’m just wondering if it’s normal that the file in the French translation is named en.yml?
I will finish the translation this week. I will probably come up with more questions after that, but let’s do it step by step :smile:
Thanks again!

Great work @maikel! It says on the project dashboard that I have requested two additional languages. This is not correct and you may decline the requests, was just something I did wrong during signup.

@maikel can you indicate us where the ABN / ACN number are used? It’s kind of tricky to translate …

In Norway:

• we have an “Organisasjonsnummer” (9 digits): xxx xxx xxx
    (only one type of number for all organizations, either they are companies or not)
  • for VAT we use the same number with “MVA” at the end: xxx xxx xxx MVA. I think this number have to appear only if the entity is within the MVA field (and as in Australia, there is a threshold)
    Should we use only one of the two ABN/ACN fields? Or use the other one for the VAT number if applicable? (if VAT registered)?
    We are not sure about the translation we should apply for ABN and ACN…

In France:

• SIREN (9 digit): unique id for a company
  • SIRET = SIREN + 5 digit, identify every different sub-entity of a company (linked to a tax obligation).
    Should ACN be SIREN and ABN be SIRET? Which one appears on the documents/invoices?

In France it’s actually even more tricky… there are more compulsory information on an invoice:

• On top of SIREN or SIRET… we need to put on the invoice
  • “code NAF” (identify the sector of activity)
  • “numéro RCS” for a “shop owner” (special registration number in another register than the SIREN one)
  • “numéro au Répertoire des métiers” for a craftsman (special registration number in another register…)
    Welcome to the French bureaucracy… :wink:
    I guess we don’t have to go further on that for the moment as there is not yet French users and we don’t yet make invoices… but I guess those numbers will be used in official documents?

The ABN and ACN have 9 digits. And we were thinking about unifying them into one field. But maybe this needs an international discussion about how we keep this flexible for other countries.

Back to the question how to translate these fields. They are just shown in the profile. They don’t have any meaning in the code. So you can name them and use them however you would like. Choose the two most important numbers that should show up in a profile. If you need more data in France, you have to put the additional numbers into the description text for now.

Hey @maikel could you maybe give me a Reviewer role for the Norwegian translation so I could go through the finished list?