Enable tax calculation by enterprise on shipping fees

What is the need / problem ?
A user needs to be able to apply a tax on a shipping fee, in the same way they can apply a tax on an enterprise fee. At present this is not possible. Instance wide shipping taxes are set up in configuration. This doesn’t work in instances where there are multiple shipping zones.

Who does it impact ?
Any user in an instance where multiple taxes on shipping are applicable.

What is the current impact of the problem ?
Users cannot apply correct taxes. They are including taxes in the shipping fee calculator, and then manually breaking them out to remit them. And, the buyer is not aware of the taxes they are paying, because the shipping taxes are not included on their invoices.
In Canada now - and in other places with multiple applicable taxes on shipping, we are legally non-compliant.

What is the benefit of focusing on this ?
Legal compliance.
Attract larger users who require shipping taxes to be functional.

Potential solutions that will solve the problem ?
Make the application of shipping taxes operate the same as taxes on enterprise fees.

Selection of a feature candidate

[value x ease matric if needed]

T-shirt size of our selected feature candidate

Metrics to measure if need is satisfied after feature is implemented

Feature owners

Epic/projet where you can follow implementation

same problem on payment methods and fees

OMG - there are places that charge taxes ontop of payment gateway fees! Sheesh - I thought we were bad here in Canada.
Certainly then - a user need to be able to add diverse taxes to payment and/or shipping fees.

Has this been addressed by @Matt-Yorkley with
https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/pull/6924?

Yes! :tada:

There’s still no option to add taxes on payment gateway fees, but I’m not sure if anyone considers it a priority.

on payment gateway fees/taxes — it seems to me that it would be more of a priority to be able to set payment fees using a formula that would collect the exact payment gateway fees (versus proximating them) - before we consider being able to add taxes to gateway fees. (I know this is a different issue than shipping fees — should it be a wishlist somewhere?)

Yes, that´s a different issue. Let´s separate so we can close this thread.

(Re new wishlist items: we have been working on a proposal for a new process for wishlist items + papercuts, Discourse post about to come)