What is the need / problem
- Mary and Shannon need to be able to make their own version of Fred’s product, without loosing the product origin information
- Fred needs to be able to deny that he supplies a given product to a given hub (if he didn’t create the product himself)
- Mary and Shannon need to be able to create Fred’s products on his behalf in order to sell their own version of it in their shop
Who does it impact
- Fred, Marys and Shannon because they can’t easily create their own version of a product and follow up changes on the original products.
- Jane because she cannot easily see today the producer behind the products if the hub create his own version of it.
What is the current impact of this problem
- Lack of transparency: Today we loose the transparency on the supply chain (the origin of the products, which hands it went through, etc.)
- Misleading origin information: Today when a hub wants to create his own version of a product, he needs to set himself as a producer and create his own product. So for instance, the wholsaler of a product will appear as the producer of this product, which is misleading information.
What is the benefit in focusing on this
- Hub’s flexibility: A hub can create their own versio of a product
- Easy products update: A hub knows when product information has changed up the chain
- Time efficiency: People are no longer creating duplicate producers and products
- Transparency and accuracy of the origin informaion
Links to more details
- Network session documentation: Discovery Session: Networks (WIP)
- Related GH issues on the need for a producer to set up stock levels for the hubs who distribute their products: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/1859 and https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/979
- Capture also this: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/905
Potential solutions that will solve this problem