Enable product chain tracking & hub's variants creation

What is the need / problem

• Mary and Shannon need to be able to make their own version of Fred’s product, without loosing the product origin information
  • Fred needs to be able to deny that he supplies a given product to a given hub (if he didn’t create the product himself)
  • Mary and Shannon need to be able to create Fred’s products on his behalf in order to sell their own version of it in their shop

Who does it impact

• Fred, Marys and Shannon because they can’t easily create their own version of a product and follow up changes on the original products.
  • Jane because she cannot easily see today the producer behind the products if the hub create his own version of it.

What is the current impact of this problem

• Lack of transparency: Today we loose the transparency on the supply chain (the origin of the products, which hands it went through, etc.)
  • Misleading origin information: Today when a hub wants to create his own version of a product, he needs to set himself as a producer and create his own product. So for instance, the wholsaler of a product will appear as the producer of this product, which is misleading information.

What is the benefit in focusing on this

• Hub’s flexibility: A hub can create their own versio of a product
  • Easy products update: A hub knows when product information has changed up the chain
  • Time efficiency: People are no longer creating duplicate producers and products
  • Transparency and accuracy of the origin informaion

Links to more details

Potential solutions that will solve this problem

I found this spree extension called Product Assembly, the description is “Create a product which is composed of other products.“ :smile:

I think this icebox item is the best I could find to post this link that will be useful when discussing implementation of the network feature: https://github.com/spree-contrib/spree-product-assembly

1 Like

Nice finding @luisramos0 ! If I see the use described it seems a bit different from what we want though… it can be interesting for products sold by like 1 or 3 kg so we have a consistent inventory management. But doesn’t solve our issue to duplicate product in the hub catalog if producer authorize a hub to sell the products, and link both with a recipe… but maybe I didn’t get what the gem does :slight_smile:

Migrated to wishlist board: Enable product chain tracking & hub’s variants creation · Issue #116 · openfoodfoundation/wishlist · GitHub