Enable customers to pay (partially or fully) with their credits

I agree with you @lin_d_hop :slight_smile: We are still “scrabbling about” / “fumbling” / “tweaking” the process to make it usable, so for now we discuss every x week with other active train drivers to test and adapt quickly. I think I’ll create already the category and move some things here and there to see how it would look like and see if it’s better. And we will plan another iteration to discuss this new valuable input that you made :slight_smile: So we experiment in small loops outside of global hangouts and then share improvements and experiments in global hangouts so involve the community in those “fumbling” :wink:

Love the feature suggestion. Highly needed for our CSA in Belgium. Would likely enable to use payment installments quite transparently.

Suggested option 1 to implement it as default payment method provided positive (or above threshold) balance seems intuitive enough.

… and voting system is intuive enough for a newbie like me. But then again I may experience similar problems when I need to make up my mind between more topics in a few weeks :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great work !
Bertrand.

… and (pretty) please add the current balance to the customers report.

@danielle @Rachel @MyriamBoure - so this is an interesting one. I’d be inclined to argue that @berteh’s little addition here “add current balance to the customers report” would fall into ‘make what we have great’ whereas paying with credits is new feature . .

1 Like

I am currently asking UK users how much time this would save them.

I think this comes under - Remove the pain points that make users want to walk away
Missing this feature means that hubs have to spend hours a month sending little bank transfers and updating external accounting systems.

One Food Hub reported back that currently they manually either update a spreadsheet with credits, or make cash refunds or make tiny bank transfers. They report that this process takes ~2 hours a week.

These are exactly the kinds of tasks that make users want to walk away from OFN. I would make a strong case for this feature being part of:
Goal 3 - Enterprise admin UX pain points that suck our users’ will to continue.

1 Like

Totally agree - at some point these things aren’t just stopping new enterprises from joining - they are also damaging our reputation out there.

More than reputation and onboarding - this goes against our mission - to help values-driven food enterprises to be viable and efficient.

Lack of this feature is the main point stopping us from using OFN now.
How can I help to make it move forward?

Find us funding and recruit more developers so we can increase the size of the pipe :wink:

This wishlist item has gone through voting and is now ready for inception phase. This means it needs a product owner to run the inception with all interested stakeholders, and preferably a Tech lead that will be main responsble for the chosen feature implementation.

Who are the product people atm? @Rachel, @lin_d_hop, @Kirsten, @MyriamBoure, @tschumilas anyone else? @lauriewayne1 maybe?

So @berteh you can help by following, giving input and being a part of these inception sessions.

Read more about the inception phase here Scoping a Feature Candidate in an Inception process

I’d love to be product owner of this feature!

@sigmundpetersen while this is true in terms of process, those are our following priorities : Focusing in for the first half of 2019 - a proposal for the global community Until they are done, I think we shouldn’t spend too much time on inception, given that things might change from now until the time the result of the inception is ready to go into the dev pipe.

When we will be ready to do inception again, I believe we will need to coordinate our effort among the product team and split the work to be done accordingly + organize peer review.

1 Like

As soon as it’s at the top of the list (post-what @Rachel linked to above) then you are free to be the product owner @lin_d_hop!

1 Like

We’re exploring turning this into issues for the DevHack so I’ve been brainstorming feature candidates:

A note for when we come to incept this.
I’d love if we can take an API First approach here.
In particular I’d love it if New Payments can be made via an API call so that we can integrate with accounting systems to register payments within OFN.

Another note - I suspect we’ll want to decouple Orders and Payments.

With a small tweak this functionality in its most basic form exists now.

I have written up a quick description of how it currently works here:

hey @lin_d_hop - would you be happy with this coming out of the ‘inception’ category? I would put it back to wishlist / curation for review if when there was a chunk someone was advocating for doing (outside the set of papercuts to make existing workaround easier?)

Migrated to wishlist board: Enable customers to pay (partially or fully) with their credits · Issue #118 · openfoodfoundation/wishlist · GitHub