I’m playing the messenger here: this post is brought to you by the product-circle. Special thanks to @Jana for leading this one
Lately we had quite many proposals that requested community feedback in play at the same time. Paired with no clear timings this often leads to less and/or slower feedback and at the same time, not having the appropriate time to give feedback when needed can feel overwhelming for the community.
The product team came up with a proposal on how to manage these proposals.
We think this can be done by:
- scheduling posts, to avoid having too many in play at the same time
- setting clear timings / deadlines for feedback
- defining clearer ‘responsibilities’ (i.e. who´s feedback is essential for which kind of request)
- using a template
- using tools to support the feedback process
How could this look like in detail:
1. Scheduling Posts & Tools
- We are thinking of creating a separate Calendar for feedback requests, to have an overview of which requests are out, until when and pre-plan next feedback requests. Dates should indicate the entire span of the deadline (from date of post until deadline)
- Before posting a feedback request, everyone should check the calendar to make sure there is space for another proposal in play
- We can also add automated Slack reminders
2. Quantity & Types of Feedback
- How to manage different “sources” of feedback, so that not too many requests are out at the same time?
- Can we define a certain number of requests (tbd: different sizes and types of feedback)?
We gave it a try:
Feature related (e.g. designs for checkout, Stripe SCA roll-out)
Community process related (e.g. papercuts, fundraising for features, instance manager circle)
Global team process related (e.g. feature toggle, fundraising for features,…)
Number of requests:
- 1 max per type of request (independent of size, for starters)
- Before a new request is posted, feedback round for previous feedback requests needs to be closed
- 1 week per round (e.g. Monday to Monday)
- We would create slack reminder 2 days before deadline, pinging the respective handles
Who to ping:
We would create a template here in discourse to help it out. With e.g. the following info:
Feature Related: Instance Managers, Support, Product, Dev, Testers
Global Team process: Product, Dev, Testers, Design
Community processes: Instance Managers, Support
Reminder: everyone is welcomed to add their names and handles here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vc8W3QHl_oPJk4_oJP_mYJvIQ7wot8kLPlnX2Lp2gTo/edit#gid=0