User guide testing feedback

Some user guide feedback from @simoneluijckx

• Introduction to OFN could be more comprehensive? Regarding the purposes of OFN. “hello, welcome to OFN. We are an organization that …… etc.”
  • Is everyone aware of what ‘hub’ means?
  • Is the distinction between producer and hub enough? Should we differentiate right away between farm, farmer’s market, food hub, etc.

I’m going through the userguide page by page (at the same time learning about OFN features ;)) so I will order my feedback page by page as well. I’m looking at the customer journey, as if I’m a producer unkown with OFN.

R= remark. S = suggestion

Intro page

1. Intro video
    R | When you do not know OFN that well and don’t have time to watch the video, you miss the part of what OFN does and why the platform is so great (see image below).
    S | A short written introduction with the why, how & what of OFN (with the food enterprises as readers in mind).

2.Set up guides
R | “Set up guides for producers and hubs” (see image above): Is the distinction between producer and hub enough? Is an enterprise always a producer or hub? What if they are something else? If a farmer is new to OFN, does he understand the terms?
S |
Should we differentiate right away between farm, farmer’s market, food hub, etc. Submerging with the ‘Model Specific Instructions: farmer’s market etc.’
At this place you could also write the question “What profile works best for me on OFN” explaining what the different profiles are and how they work on OFN,
or
“What am I”, Farmer, producer, farmer’s market, coop, etc. (easier for the reader?)
with links to the pages in the userguide belonging to these profiles?

3.Advanced features
R | In the title “Advanced features”, (see image below) we could put the text “already set-up”. When scanning the page (reading the titles), will be clear right away for who the advanced settings are.
S | “Already set-up: advanced features”

Case Studies
R | The name of the case study on it’s own (green title) may not be detailed enough for readers to understand what the case studies is about? (see image below)
S | Add a little intro explaining what helpful info you can find here (more likely to click on it hopefully)

R= Remark. S = Suggestion

Hub and Producer Set Up guide

1. links don’t open in new tab
    R | When clicking on ‘create an account’, it doesn’t open a new tab. It changes the page you are on, to the new page, so you lose the Set Up guide page.
    S | If you are setting up, you might like to keep the Set Up Guide open in your browser, to refer back to which steps you need to take. So changing the link so it opens in a new tab.

2 The steps
R | The text is clear, but perhaps with a little picture, visualising the step, it makes it easier for the user to remember the next time e.g. where to find the dashboard and profile.

3 . difference between profile and shop
R | maybe readers don’t know there is a difference between having just a profile or/and a shop
S | A little intro underneath the ‘profile’ and ‘shop’ title
Profile: “Having a profile means that people can find and contact you on the Open Food Network. Your enterprise will be visible on the map and will be searchable in the listing. You can do this without having a shop”
Shop: “Having a shop means that people can buy your produce through your open and transparent shop on the Open Food Network.”

1. Set Up Guide distinction between producer and hub
    S | I saw this when setting up my fake producer account and sounds good to add something like this for the distinction between the enterprises.

Are you a producer?
-Producers make yummy things to eat and/or drink. You’re a producer if you grow it, raise it, brew it, bake it, ferment it, milk it or mould it.
-If you’re not a producer, you’re probably someone who sells and distributes food. You might be a hub, coop, buying group, retailer, wholesaler or other.

Producer set-up guide: products
R | typo:
“If you have selected ‘items’ as your unit, the display as field will change to ‘item name’. Fill this in with the type of item it is. (i.e. jar, bottle, or bunch)”
–> on the ‘add products’ page, it says ‘unit name’ instead of ‘item name

Thanks @simoneluijckx these are really useful improvements. I will see if we can find a Wordpress volunteer in the UK to make these and the other changes suggested above

Another point that needs adding to the user guide is about how to remove properties from products. See https://community.openfoodnetwork.org.uk/t/deleting-product-properties/194