Square Integration [DRAFT]

What is the need / problem ?

Square is an integrated payment solution used by a lot of farmers at farmers markets and elsewhere. We are having increasing number of requests to integrate

Who does it impact ?

Farms / Shops using OFN who have orders from their other sales channels going through and being paid in Square. To take credit card payments on Open Food Network

What is the current impact of the problem ?

1. Currently, using OFN means they take credit card payments in Stripe or Paypal, and have to move information either into Square or to 3rd party accounting to reconcile / get correct sales figures etc

• send OFN orders to Square so Square can be used as POS system and people can pay for them using various methods when they collect

• sync inventory items, stock, prices etc?

What is the benefit of focusing on this ?

Potential solutions that will solve the problem ?

1. Create Square as a payment method to take credit card payments within Open Food Network
  • when sending payment information to Square also send line items so orders can actually be managed from Square

Selection of a feature candidate

[value x ease matric if needed]

T-shirt size of our selected feature candidate

Metrics to measure if need is satisfied after feature is implemented

Feature owners

Epic/projet where you can follow implementation

Connected wishlist and discovery discussions*

[list precedent discussions]

2 Likes

I know we have had a lot of issues with Paypal being down and cutsomers not able to pay at the time they are placing there order and have had to add a pay by card at time of pick up option. Which we use square. If there was a more dependable system, or if we could integrate square so that each week we are not having so many issues with paypal just not working that would be great and take one more step out of the process.

2 Likes

LOVE TO BUMP THIS TOPIC!
Alot of USA vendors use Square. We do at our farm. We would love to see this integrated into OFN payment system. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m circling back to this issue. Again this year, I along with hundreds of other OFN farmers market vendors here in Canada, will be taking on-line orders in OFN, and POS orders using square at their market stands. Right now we just manage those orders in 2 places. Its OK - but not the kind of thing that delights our OFN customers.

I notice that square can integrate with zero or quickbooks via zapier … and OFN can integrate with zero (out of the box) and qith quick books via zapier. So a solution is to merge square orders and OFN online orders in zero - for example.

Is anyone doing that now? THinking of trying…

2 Likes

Hello we have an existing hub of local producers that doesnt currently use OFN. I would love to be able consolidate us all into an OFN hub but the biggest pushback I am getting is the lack of integration with Square. Almost all our vendors use square for both inventory control and for accepting payments both at our hub and at other sales avenues. Would love to know if someone is working on this @Kirsten or if someone has found a workaround @tschumilas. Thanks

We have some OFN vendors who offer buyers a payment method like: ‘pay via square at pickup’. And then the vendor takes payment on the order via the square terminal - but orders mgmt and inventory mgmt stay in OFN. These vendors choose to use OFN because it is way more flexible the square for inventory management and allocation of inventory for sale to other stores, hubs, buying clubs… Really square does not come close to the kind of advanced inventory functions that OFN has and vendors who sell their goods through multiple ‘re-sellers’ figure this out pretty quick.

But square is useful for (small) point of sale vendors (small stores, farmers market vendors…) where purcahses are made ‘in person’ and not on-line in advance. Post-COVID we are seeing integrated farmers markets where the market has an on-line store AND people add to their orders through in-person shopping. BUT OFN has no way to efficiently do POS. So - would be ideal to be able to more fully integrate with square for this purpose in my view.

I actually bought the square terminal to try out here on my farm to see how flexible it is to export my square orders to someplace, where I can also send my OFN orders, so i could manage orders in a ‘third party’ space ---- but haven’t done more on this.

1 Like

Moved to Square integration · Issue #60 · openfoodfoundation/wishlist · GitHub