What is the need / problem
Every Manel (instance manager) around the world currently has to finance their own server costs and the administation of these servers. With most instances only having a few thousand users max this seems like a gross waste of resources.
Further the cost of this is totally prohibitive to many global south regions wishing to start to use OFN.
Who does it impact
Manel in lost resources. And every user of the platform in increased costs.
Most significantly this impacts everyone in lost devops capacity. The opportunity cost of managing ever more servers is huge.
What is the current impact of this problem
New regions are not coming online on the OFN as they find the costs prohibitive.
Much funding that could be used to develop the product is instead being diverted to system adminsitation and server costs.
What is the benefit in focusing on this
Saved time of technically skilled contributors and financial resources
Links to more details
Potential solutions that will solve this problem
To solve this problem we will need in place:
- Multilingual: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/projects/4
- Optimisations: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/3760
- International tax support:
- Multi-category/ taxon support: Categories and Taxons - International Unification
- Customised Local Experience including landing page and social links.
- Terms of Service and Legal Compliance
We will then need to consult on a robust architecture, and it is thought we will want to recruit from industry to support this.