OuiShare 2017 - OFN get together?

Hi everyone!!!

That would be really awesome to meet part of the Aussie team, and I’m happy to find a nice location in France where we can all meet and relax for a super low cost just after the Fest (8-9th?), and I can also organize visits to some inspiring farms in France, 2-3 hours from Paris so that we can easily move around :slight_smile: Just confirm me the dates, this can be before the fest or after the 9th depending on your plan. @NickWeir if you have some free time in your holidays we could do that before the Fest while you are in France.
The fest is 5-7th July, I guess you can have some free tickets if you come as a speaker, so @Kirsten, @serenity, @danielle please feel free to propose :slight_smile: Same @NickWeir if you want to propose something.

I’m planning to send myself various proposals to discuss how food shapes cities and the relationships cities/countryside (was thinking of Carolyn Steel as a keynote to open a round table on the topic with various speakers) which is absolutely vital for cities. And I wanted also to open up a conversation on urban farming, addressing some core questions like no-soil based farming, basically does it really make sense to produce in a led-lighten container strawberries in Paris parkings all year round? Or the MIT food computer?
I guess you might want to propose a session on “how are we going to buy our food in cities in 10 years?” or “making local food easy to buy in cities?” Maybe that would be great if the OFN founders could propose something and maybe gather a panel to explore more deeply if that makes sense :slight_smile: Maybe in the “power” track? "how people in cities can get back power on their food supply?"
Maybe also there would be some interesting topic to raise about logistics? “How are we going to move food in cities in 10 years?”

Anyway, whatever you want to propose just let me know, I’m happy for you to propose the “how food shapes city” session if you want :slight_smile: Maybe you can even have you flight tickets partly covered? I’m not sure about that, but could be.
I’ll gather my thoughts in a document and share it with you :slight_smile:
@NickWeir do you know Carolyn Steel?

I’m happy if other people than me propose all those topics :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am not sure that I can extend my trip beyond the fest dates, things just got very busy here! Long story, but I look forward to filling you all in. But I do hope to be able to spend a good portion of time together during the fest itself :slight_smile:

@tschumilas that is too bad the you will not be coming :frowning:

Hey @MyriamBoure how much do the tickets cost?

pricing details here:
http://paris.ouisharefest.com/buy-ticket/

Wondering if it’s enough to buy the early bird ticket or if there’s a big enough benefit in getting the more expensive option. Thoughts?

Early bird will be ample :wink:

I am on holiday in France with my family from 17th June to 6th July. We are booked on a Eurostar out of Paris on Thursday 6th. Sorry i will miss most of Ouishare but it would be good to join in whatever happens afterwards.

@MyriamBoure i am sorry that i don’t know Carolyn Steel but i know people who have worked with her so could get an intro if that would be helpful - let me know

Excited!
N

@danielle and all you can apply for a hacker ticket!!! It’s only 50€ for the 3 days. You will definitely get one. As catering is not included this year, I know there will be more hacker tickets offered, and anyway, being part of such a great Commons food system project you gonna get one :slight_smile: You can also mention me in your application, they know me and Open Food Network :slight_smile:

Given what you all said, shouldn’t we meet before the 5th? Like 2 days not too far from Paris? So that @CynthiaReynolds and maybe @NickWeir can join? I could book a small house near the see in Normandy, it’s near all the D-day beaches and nice landscapes, not far from Mont-Saint Michel as well… if you want we could be there from the 1st to the 4th for example (or even a bit before if you want to spend a whole week in Normandy, there is so much to see there!), I can ask my friend if she can give us a good price, there are lots of rooms, it’s in an old farm (not much growing now though) and we can visit super nice farms less than 2 hours around as well.

So it could be away to gather with our families, and mix some get together with some holidays :slight_smile:

@NickWeir if you can find a way to put me in touch with Carolyn Steel that would be awesome :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I am so sorry Myriam because I love your plan but we are holidaying around Chambery (SE France) so it would be difficult to get to Normandy. However I am up for joining in the end of Ouishare and any gathering that happens immediately after Ouishare.
I will put @MyriamBoure in email contact with my colleague who has worked with Carolyn

So - now my sister’ss plans might be changing - so I’m just waiting a bit. I don’t think I can make the Oui Share meeting - but wow a holiday in Normandy sounds amazing. My husband and I have not yet planned a holiday for this summer - so I’m thinking - maybe we could join the OFN group either before or after Oui Share - and then stay for a holiday. A house sounds delightful @MyriamBoure. I’d so very much like to make this work and meet you all.

2 Likes

It would be great if we could lock down dates for the OFN global gathering, or at least decide if it will be before or after ouishare. That way we far distant Australians who have a fairly expensive flight cost can lock down dates and then start looking for cheap flights :smile:

I think we are flexible as to which side of ouishare the ofn gathering is, depends for us on where the other things fit!

@NickWeir are you saying you’d stay in France for the rest of ouishare and some time afterwards? or are you suggesting gathering in UK? If the former then I think that clinches it and gathering happens straight after ouishare :slight_smile:

Normanby sounds delightful, and @Selmo has also raised the possibility of maybe something at the place he’s now living near Dijon

We’re loosely thinking UK before-hand for some working time, and then Ouishare, and then we’re keen to have some focused working time in Germany with @janina and team, and poss. with @MyriamBoure and happydev re. ‘fingers crossed’ client, and to spain to meet @enricostn and friends (but also especially excited as this gives me an excuse and destination for spain, which i really wanted to do! I’m not sure the feasibility / cost of going to norway, much as I would LOVE to, seems like it’s a bit further afield and we should be able to do the rest more cost-effectively (or am I kidding myself?)

That’s our preliminary thoughts - we’re planning on coming from mid/late June and through July really, but how long and where / when depends on what fits w others and where we might be able to stay … it’s sad but true that our accomodation budget will be very small, so much will be affected by couches, floors and gardens (we’re very happy in a tent if is provided :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Kirsten yes i meant that I would stay on in France for the rest of ouishare and some time afterwards.
We will be on holiday in France from Friday 16th June through to Thursday 6th July. This means that our house in Stroud will be available - we offer it to anyone needing the space while we are away so if it would be convenient for the Aus team you are welcome to have it while we are away - and before we go of course :slight_smile: .

@danielle if you want help booking cheap train tickets around Europe my partner Carol can get some good deals if you can give us lots of notice and specific details of what journeys you want to do and when. These advance tickets would have to be used on the booked trains.

Thanks @NickWeir, I’m still not sure on dates at this stage but thanks very much for the offer and I shall be in touch along with @serenity and @Kirsten as soon as it’s all confirmed!

Hi everyone! Ok so… there is a chance that the plans change a bit due to an opportunity created by a random suggestion from @Kirsten two weeks ago :slight_smile:
We will know next Tuesday 21st if we get that major client in France but if it works, we have put in the global budget the organization of a one month hackaton in France to launch the project. The work will be focused on this client needs of course, but as we will all be there and the Australian team maybe won’t work full time on it (as having more an important mentor / support / training / experts / coach role), there is also a possibility to host at the same time developers and other OFN community people during that period.
The dates will be confirmed next week hopefully, but if should be between 17th April and 15th May (to be confirmed).
And here is the place we have found for you:

Yes, this is… a castle. One our from Paris. That’s where POC happened. The owner wants to support the transition movements so put this place at the service of communities like us. We will have to contribute to this common while we are there, especially as we won’t have a big budget.
So we thought we could take the opportunity to organize a global OFN gathering while everyone is there, maybe over a long week end. The castle would be pretty full on the 29thApril - 2May so not possible that week-end, but if we want to plan a long week-end general OFN gathering that would be awesome :slight_smile:

And if the UK/Spanish/… teams want to come and colocate with us while we are all here it’s also doable :slight_smile:

How does it sounds like?
@Kirsten @danielle @lin_d_hop @NickWeir @pmackay @enricostn @CynthiaReynolds @Odi @fj.arnuga @klinked @sreeharsha @tim.honchel @tschumilas

I need to know around how many people would be interested to come, I said around 15-20 people for the moment to the castle owner… Anyway, just letting you know already so that you can start thinking about it, but I’ll come back to you with more details soon.

4 Likes

WOW this is really exciting news!!! :smile:

From Katuma team we may have some date collision though:

• I’ll visit my home town in south of Italy from 29th April to 6 May :disappointed:
  • @sseerrggii will be available starting from 2 May

We would really like to be there! I hope we can make it :muscle:

EDIT: we may have a third person coming, Pau. He’s a seasoned Ruby on Rails developer from Coopdevs :tada:

3 Likes

How fantastic!
I would love to come and hook up for a weekend if the dates are right. Schedule is getting rather full, but it could work out. Having a chance to have some face time with other OFNers is something I am really keen on.
Looking forward to hearing more on Tuesday… :slight_smile:

ping @sigmundpetersen

2 Likes

Yes - I am on!
Thanks

1 Like

One thing to remember, Monday 17 April is the Easter weekend and is often a time that families gather together (mine does on the Sunday, not so much for the topic of the holiday but as a chance to be together). I’m not sure if this is a public holiday in France (it is in Australia) so we may have to take that into consideration when planning dates. :slight_smile:

I think your idea is stupendous @MyriamBoure and all of us here in Australia who would be making the trip would be so happy to meet everyone face to face and spend some quality time!