As we went through the process of making a start on the global website overhaul, it became apparent that some of the issues are with the global site, and some are with the way we set up local instance sites.
Currently, it seems as though many instances are redoing/wanting to redo their local instance to make it more user-friendly. This points to a problem! There’s not much point in us having a rollout wordpress site that each instance implements and then has to redo, when instead we could redesign our local instance template to reduce this burden on each new instance! (is my opinion )
What do others think? To me, it seems as though we need to redesign our local rollout template to meet these goals:
- clearer landing page for useability - would this be more like an about page rather than a glossy front cover page as we currently have? (e.g. more similar to https://about.openfoodnetwork.org.uk/ ) - this also seems like something where if we get the global site right as the ‘glossy front cover intro’ site then we don’t necessarily have to do that for each local instance where people are just arriving to use the site in their country
- better layout and menu design to encapsulate the design most instances are gravitating towards of having extra sections to the site, such as a blog or resources library
- some easy-to-implement templates for pages such as a blog or resources library
- integrates well between the platform and the wordpress site - cohesive branding, fonts, navigation, etc
- clearer containment of the local site as just local site navigation (currently people can click a link and find themselves lost out on the global site)
And then, in my ideal world, we would have some discussion about what types of content each instance is creating and based on that have a couple of recommendations of content buckets (e.g. endorsements, resources for running a food enterprise) that local instances might create so that we can reuse content across instances to reduce the amount of content each instance needs to create. Obviously, always, the highest priority is for a local instance to successfully connect with their local audience. But I really believe there are still ways that we can use content in a more modular way to boost the presence of instances with a skeleton staff and work together to create a large, international shared library of things like case studies and resources.
Do others think this is worth attempting?
What else would you say are priorities for a local instance template redesign?
What concerns would you have about this?