Global Gathering 2019 - Day 6 - Tech update

What is the purpose of this session?

What outcomes/deliverables do we want?
Tech discussion happened.
What to do with Scandinavia (sys admin)
Agreement about operations (things that happened to live servers).

Who is facilitating? Pau

Who is scribing? Myriam

Summary:

Actions:

Action : we move back to “under construction” and Norway maintain their server for now. Happy to organize joining back global pool as soon as active community.
Action : create awareness about it. And start to open issues when notifications to treat them.

Detailed notes:

Old instance, and any user. Is it worth to keep that server into the pool that OFN manages ? How it affects the cost of managing it ourselves.
When we deploy any new release, always question about shall we deploy for Scandinavia ?
If we want to manage it we need to update to OFN install.
Currently in 1.23.
Last time he said there was no active.
Myriam : happy to open conversation with Sigmund but seems no contribution to the commons and no users so does it makes sense to take time of global team devs to do upgrades, etc ? More sense would be to Sigmund do the upgrade when he wants, but if no active users and no community active around it. It also has an impact on the brand. Shall we put Scan in beta, if no active community building, we could move back to "under construction ".
Action : we move back to “under construction” and Norway maintain their server for now. Happy to organize joining back global pool as soon as active community.

Operations:
Responsability to manage the live servers. When it is deployed. We should start creating issues for things happening to live server. Like downtime on French servers, etc. We should start tracking. Sys admin issues, not about OFN install but live instance.
Now stopping improving OFN install, different from releasing, just operating. Conclusion of the group is that it’s quite significant. Part of maintaining software.
Link with performance ? Make software better = performance. For some we don’t know what is going on, investigating the downtime.
Operation = from the moment you release till the next release. If require to open a bug like on performance, we would create another issue and prioritize. There is usually a representant of operations in the pipe team.

Here is the recording https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YmTCO-_vzHu3tVonBZXiTQsFlArSmWAK/view?usp=sharing

OF the 2 actions below i have added the Norway action to airtable but not the 2nd action. Please add if you think it is needed.:slight_smile:

Action : create awareness about it. And start to open issues when notifications to treat them.

Hey everyone.
Regarding the Norway instance, I totally support we should not use global resources on it at the moment.
Our pilot user stopped using the platform so right now it is in an “inactive” state. (The platform is up and ready to use but no one is using it).

It is a community of 1 supporting the platform (me) and I mostly contribute to the global pipe what I can anyways. I have by no means the capacity to manage a local community of users and getting more enterprises on the platform.

So let’s communicate that it is “under construction” and I will have a go myself to update to ofn-install at some point. And let’s hope for a more flourishing community in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great ! Thank you @sigmundpetersen for your understanding, I wanted to contact you to discuss that directly but apparently you read and got the point, and great to see we are all aligned :slight_smile: So @Jen we can move Norway to under construction instance for the global website. And I’ll put a message on the devops slack channel to let sys admins know that Norway doesn’t have to be included for now in the pool of instances upgraded at every release. Cheers !