Global Gathering 2019 - Day 2 - non-dev prioritization, processes

What is the purpose of this session?
Figure out priorities for non-dev tasks

What outcomes/deliverables do we want?

Who is facilitating? a small meeting - @Rachel @lin_d_hop @Kirsten @NickWeir

Who is scribing? @gen.shanahan

Summary of decisions:

• Decided to try out AirTable as the task management tool for this team
  • Discussed blocks with User Guides on GitBooks, potential onboarding page(s), mobile browser compliance
  • Reviewed the labels on Slack channels to keep these accessible and usable

Actions:

• @Kirsten to redefine the descriptions of the channels (cust service, dev channel, delivery train, bugs)
  • @Rachel will submit pull request for contributors’ page
  • @NickWeir to send standard new instance email to @Jen to add to her onboarding page on the new global website
  • Check each draft documentation in GitBook, as they were auto-generated
  • @Kirsten - create issue in GitHub to create link on embedded shopfronts - “If X doesn’t load, click this link” - opens shop link instead of embed
  • Schedule further discussion of user inquiry recording and tracking, maximising value of every solution so work isn’t replicated
  • start creating troubleshooting section of the user guide

Detailed notes:

Categories of work for the non-dev team:

• User guide
  • Instance on-boarding
  • Global website

User guide @lauriewayne1 @tschumilas @EmilyRogers

• Could be simpler
  • Currently in GitBook right now. Based on drafts - some (e.g. @Rachel’s) are not yet merged for language issues, etc.
  • We suggest native English speakers don’t need to wait to merge
  • is it time to link to guides to help with instance/customer support onboarding?
  • @NickWeir has a standard email written by Myriam sent to new instances - turn this into a page on the global website
  • Check each draft in GitBook, as they were auto-generated
  • @lauriewayne1 commented (below): “Another thing to keep in mind with new and existing tools/process for customer support is the integration of knowledge capture and eventual (someday) analysis -what problems are we solving, what’s the lifecycle of a user inquiry (ideally and in reality, and what can new support people learn from not only solutions, but the way the solutions were reached (and how they were communicated). This second one might need to go in the non-tech product discussion?”
    • We discussed this around the table and decided it probably won’t fit into the Non-tech product session but we’ll add it to the board of things to fit in elsewhere.
  • Nick adds that we’re missing value in terms of users supporting one another through Discourse across instances. At the moment the Global Discourse site is too overwhelming for users and inaccessible for non-English speakers.
  • The user guide should become our go-to before posting on Slack.
  • Decided we should start creating troubleshooting section of the user guide

Contributors’ page

• Outdated and duplicating info that is automatically recorded elsewhere - best to delete

Onboarding

• Could the proposed new instance onboarding page on the global website serve as onboarding for general volunteers also? Include links to all tools?
    *Maybe not, maybe we need to have separate pages and/or direct contact before giving access to all the tools

Internal support across instances

• Slack sometimes inefficient - problems and solutions spread across multiple channels/threads
  • Maybe we should adopt tiered support system used in other software firms: S1, S2, S3
  • Bugs channel was created as a way to filter tech issues - “Is this a bug or not”
  • Need to redefine the description of the channels:
    • Customer Service for instance questions
    • Dev Channel is just for devs to talk amongst themselves
    • Delivery Train Channel is for train drivers to check on and guide devs’ progress
    • Bugs Channel is for train drivers re “Is this a bug or not”

What tool should we use to record non-dev tasks

• Airtable - recommended by Kirsten
    • What tools could it replace? Trello for sure, maybe Google Sheets?
    • An opensource alternative would be great, but not clear that this functionality is yet available
    • APIs with Zapier
    • Use global community non-dev as a test use case, can see from there if it’s worth the work of transferring other teams from Trello
  • V Tiger - open source CRM - Rachel uses this with the French team
    • French users really prefer open source

Zapier

• Dev environment can be set up for free
  • Free plan available with Zapier for non-profits once Zapier logo is displayed on the website
  • Set up Zapier integrations for French and Aus instances

Mobile browser device compliance

• One big problem is scrolling within iframes - can we afford to put the work in to make this work?
    • This feature works well on android phones
    • iOS layer on the browser is the issue
    • Maybe embedded just isn’t something we can do on mobile right now
    • Maybe take embedded off the user guide, pricing page, etc.? Or just explain that we have this feature, but it doesn’t work on iOS
    • Or, alternatively, “If X doesn’t load, click this link” - opens shop link instead of embed
  • Tools for testing cross-browser and cross-device

I don’t know if it needs to be formalized in a tier, but especially when there are junior instance managers (like me) in the role of supporting users while also learning the basics of the platform, there is an incredible amount of information and value in support-to-support across instances. I can’t count the times @tschumilas and @NickWeir have saved my butt and taught me at the same time. Maybe support-to-support is 1.5?

Another thing to keep in mind with new and existing tools/process for customer support is the integration of knowledge capture and eventual (someday) analysis -what problems are we solving, what’s the lifecycle of a user inquiry (ideally and in reality, and what can new support people learn from not only solutions, but the way the solutions were reached (and how they were communicated). This second one might need to go in the non-tech product discussion?

Hi Laurie,

Sorry, I think my labeling caused confusion there - what you describe as 1.5 is really what we meant by Customer Service - I’ve removed the S1, S2, S3 labels above now to avoid confusion :slight_smile:

Regarding integration of knowledge capture, I’ve added your note to the relevant section above, and we’ll try to schedule it for a further discussion.

Cheers!

Gen