farmOS integration

Greetings OFN Community!
My name is Shannon and im working with a Non Profit developing a farm project in the Northern California region and we are looking to integrate the Open Food Network platform into our community and become a producer and a hub of farms looking to distribute food to the local surrounding community.
We are also developing with farmOS to use there farm management wares as our daily operational platform for tracking all farm tasks, operations and any farm related process.
We are very happy with farmOS and the development community is stellar and very active.
One our main goals is to see how we can integrate OFN with FarmOS so we can track all assets in farmOS that would be ready to go to market via OFN.
There is discussions currently about getting started on some kind of integration.
Here is the most recent topic on the table.

These are the development topics of interest we are looking at:

Develop a ā€œfarm2foodnetworkā€ module for farmOS (drupal) (*what data sets to share?)

• Ability to have a farmOS profile on OFN as Provider etc
  • Ability to push asset ā€productā€ thru movement till it goes to OFN store
  • Ability to push assets to OFN inventory and categorize each desired asset as a network store product with in farmOS.
  • Ability to track and trace product from start to market and the ability to tag it at each stage.
  • Push items to network store from farmOS directly when ready.
  • Integrate crop production plan with ofn product availability.
  • OAuth to connect the accounts?

Would love to know if this has been looked at before and what the possibilities are?

Love to see these 2 platforms working together. Seems like a natural fit for an OpenAgtech solution for farm management all the way to local market.

Any feedback and or insight would greatly welcomed!

Thanks
FarmTech
(*Shan)

2 Likes

wow I am excited about this :slight_smile: we have had conversations with farmOS over the years and clearly all thought it would be great if we ended up at this point, but neither had the resources or immediate urgency to focus on it. If you do that would be fantastic and you will be welcomed and supported.

I have played a bit with farmos for our farm here in aus but havenā€™t really ā€˜locked inā€™. I do use OFN though, and would happily be a guinea pig.

There is quite a bit to consider and some conversations about broader data structures that are relevant. For example, the Data Food Consortium project in France has drafted a standard for food systems tech to be interoperable, and we will be aiming to comply with that over time. We have just taken our first steps towards DFC-compliant endpoints see here and here. It could be interesting to look at this for farmOS too, as in how assets are translated to products that travel through the supply network

On the topic of networks - we are probably using the word differently, but we are also currently working on an evolution of the ā€˜networkā€™ in open food ā€˜networkā€™ i.e. better support for food supply networks where the same core ā€˜productā€™ moves through and is transformed in different ways by different supply chain partners. We are talking about using tagging in some way within this. It may not be relevant but I just noticed some uses of the same words and it could be interesting to explore parallels in our thinking. Pinging @Mario FYI

thatā€™ll do for now - welcome :slight_smile:
Kirsten

1 Like

also @farmtech - just in case you havenā€™t found it yet, our API is not as awesome as it will one day be, but what we currently have is documented at https://app.swaggerhub.com/apis/luisramos0/the-open_food_network/0.1

1 Like

:smiley: YAY Thank you for checking this out. Great feedback and insight. Thanks for the references. This gives me a great place to start.
I am going to pass this along to the farmOS team and see what ideas it can get started.

Hi there, this is Jamie from the farmOS team. I work on the farmOS Field Kit app (Android/iOS/PWA).

Just want to introduce myself and say I love this idea! Weā€™ve got a lot on our plates, as always, but itā€™s been my wish, for a looooong time, to see farmOS integrate with sales and marketing tools, especially OFN, since I donā€™t see anyone coming close to what yā€™all do in the FOSS space.

As best I can, @farmtech, Iā€™d like to make myself available to you. I 100% sympathize with @Kirsten when it comes to #APIgoals; weā€™re busily working to improve ours as well. So if you ever get stuck, donā€™t hesitate to reach out.

Canā€™t wait to see where this goes!

3 Likes

:slight_smile: This is exciting!
evolving the open food computer network to reflect the open food social networkā€¦

Regarding the OFN api:
Is it possible to retrieve (eg) bulk_products sorted by last_modified/deleted?
(or only retrieve products that have been modified/deleted since some time?)

afaics the param q is not specified in the swagger api spec https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/blob/master/app/controllers/api/products_controller.rb#L147 How does it work?

1 Like

I like the idea to trace/track products already during their creation before they are ready to sell. This could even loop back to OFN in form of CSA crowd-funding: First consumers communicate value appreciation (ie pre-pay in advance) and only then todos get scheduled in farmos to create that value which is then distributed via OFNā€¦ eg order three ā€œbed square foodā€ of carrots - ETA in 6 weeks

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. Itā€™s great to hear from you!

:heart_eyes:

we have been discussing this. We use use ransack that supports filters by all database fields, but we dont want to explode our docs with all the possible filters. Discussion here: Document and Test Orders API Endpoint Ā· Issue #3770 Ā· openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork Ā· GitHub
Anyway, yes, I think you can already filter by orders created_at, updated_at and deleted_at fields.
Something like this I believe:

• q[updated_at_gt] updated after
  • q[deleted_at_lt] delete before
2 Likes

Iā€™m with OFN-Canada. I have no technical skills (well not the kind you all have). But Iā€™m a farmer and a mega OFN user. For a long time I have dreamed about some type of integration between an open source farm management system (like farmOS) and the marketing/orders management system that OFN is. I am lead investigator on a government funded project here now to assess and map out how (so called) disruptive digital technologies are impacting the ā€˜farm to forkā€™ sector here. This integration is something small scale farmers, fishers, harvesters, makersā€¦ are longing for. Last year I talked with Zia at LiteFarm (an open source farm management app being developed at UBC) about this (https://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/litefarm/) - but neither of us had resources to go further. So - just adding my voice to the interest here. And, just as @Kirsten offered - if you folks at farmOS are looking for a test case - Iā€™m happy to lend my farm and its OFN use to the cause.

2 Likes

Just seeing this, @tschumilas, and love it! This fall Iā€™ll be starting some exploratory work into what it would take to expand the farmOS API for these kinds of sales and marketing integrations, so perhaps in a month or soā€™s time, when Iā€™ve had a chance assess our options more thoroughly, we could find a time to chat.

Also, we got lots of love for Zia and the LiteFarm team, going back to the GOAT Conference 2018. Weā€™re already collaborating as a part of OpenTEAM, so itā€™d be great to extend that collaboration into an endeavor like this, too.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the response @jgaehring. Love to chat. Iā€™ll also intro you to @lauriewayne1 who heads up the US OFN instance. A chat with us however, would focus on dreaming and what we know our community of users would love to see. Laurier and I are community developers not software developers. And I think its safe to say that there is little bandwidth at the moment among more technically included OFNers to take on new big things. Nonetheless - Iā€™m pinging a few people who might have an interest in explorationā€¦? @Kirsten @luisramos0 ā€” others?

2 Likes

Iā€™m on the same page re: bandwidth. Iā€™m taking the long view of this right now b/c the farmOS team has at least a 6 month backlog of development work, with more to crop up in the intervening time Iā€™m sure. A lilā€™ bit oā€™ dreaminā€™ and scheminā€™ sounds like a perfect way to start things off though. Would love to reconnect w/ Laurie too. I will make myself a reminder to ping you later this month so we can find a time to chat, b/c I have vacation and some hard deadlines to get past before then.

Slow and steady!

2 Likes

Hey @jgaehring! I was thinking of you a lot lately, also because I think (canā€™t remember) Ankita must have a new person in her lofe these days, eh?

Have a great vacation. Find us when you can!

2 Likes