Ensure correct translations are maintained and comprehensive

What is the need / problem

Some keys are still not translated. Also we need to be able to clean up our translations and ensure that we don’t mess things up with code typos. We need to make i18n pull requests easier and faster for everyone.

Who does it impact

All non English instances.

What is the current impact of this problem

Translations missing / issues.

What is the benefit in focusing on this

Well translated instances.

Links to more details

Potential solutions that will solve this problem

Use https://github.com/glebm/i18n-tasks

@MyriamBoure can you please assign this icebox item a sub-category? Draft or Review Ready or Approved?

Also, there has been a lot of work done on translations since this was created. Has that work/change made this less of a priority or no longer a problem?

I think it also maps well with Convention Decision: to i18n or not to i18n in spec assertions

yeah, one dimension of this is the transifex process, isnt it? we talked about it but we didnt change anything yet. maybe we should make the manual pull of all languages a requirement for every release? I did it myself manually and I felt it was really easy/quick to do. I am not sure other devs will agree.

There’s that thread on i18n on specs but I think the most important recent tech decision in the “Put translation key under the “js.” namespace”. See the two issues. They will help organize the translations file and reduce the total size of the assets the browser needs to download (making the website faster).

Yes one discussion is on process, a remaining item from this icebox is the use of https://github.com/glebm/i18n-tasks or not.

The other item for this specific icebox is to go through the list in the linked issue description and see if all have been internationalized, and if not create small i18n issues.

1 Like

Also related Workflow to structure translations

Ok I think Maikel updated the wiki and release process so that a manual pull is done each time we release, so let’s consider this as done, and we will reopen a wishlist if needs be if there is still a problem.