Display weight and volume units with space as per international standard

What is the need / problem ?

When displaying weights and volumes with units, we currently show the unit attached to the number without a space. For example 12kg or 10L (see more examples below).

It has been shown that the international standard is to separate units with a space, for example 12 kg or 10 L. See reference below.

However in some regions (Australia at least), this standard is not used.

Who does it impact ?

What is the current impact of the problem ?

What is the benefit of focusing on this ?

Potential solutions that will solve the problem ?

1. We can add a space separator to displayed in all contexts. OR,
  2. Maybe we could add a regional setting, according to local preference

Selection of a feature candidate

[value x ease matric if needed]

T-shirt size of our selected feature candidate

Metrics to measure if need is satisfied after feature is implemented

Feature owners

Epic/projet where you can follow implementation

Examples

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.32.49 pm
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.33.39 pm
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.32.13 pm

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.30.24 pm
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.30.08 pm

Reference

1 Like

I’d vote for adding the space - because that’s how we do it here (Germany). Hopefully it wouldn’t be too complicated to make it a setting?

Personally I wouldn’t really mind, I’d find it readable either way, but as an Australian, I find the Australian way looks nicer to me :slight_smile: .

I’m not sure how much show owners or customers would care – what do you think @amida ?

If they don’t care very much, we could probably save a lot of effort by just changing it globally.

Of course, making no change would be the least effort :wink:

We discussed in a meeting just now that it’s a pretty small thing, and it doesn’t seem worth spending effort on at this time.

UK also don’t use a space.
If we have to choose then international standards make sense… do we have to choose?

I’m not sure this is mission critical. Can we just leave it? And invest in the internationalisation at a later date?

Ok, taking into account that UK and AU are two of the largest instances, we should leave it as is and create no additional work load.
I assumed that during implementation of the back office user interface update (BUU) we would need to touch this code anyway and it would be a good time to make it ‘according to the standard’ from the beginning. But I understand that updating the design does not include this and making it optional is out of scope.

So, I would still be interested in the information how other countries are doing it and at some point I will open an issue to make it an optional setting. But no action required now.

2 Likes

Moved to our GH wishlist repo Display weight and volume units with space as per international standard · Issue #492 · openfoodfoundation/wishlist · GitHub

2 Likes