Be able to add existing shipping methods providers

Maybe something to split :slight_smile:

What is the need / problem ?

When you ship a product you usually offer several shipping options and prices. Currently in OFN if you want to do that you need to add several shipping methods.
This is good except in 2 cases:

1. The shipping options has LOTS of delivery option and the buyer needs to be able to select one option. This is the case of Mondial Relay in France, Belgium and Spain https://www.mondialrelay.fr/
  2. Sometimes the shipping fee will be according to the distance between the producer and the buyer

This might be weird to look at when promoting local production, but in France currently we have some products who can’t be produce everywhere, like:

• salt
  • oil
  • oranges

Who does it impact ?

Producers who need to sell their production to large base of buyers (you don’t buy salt every week :slight_smile: )

What is the current impact of the problem ?

They are limiting their shipping options, and thus loosing potential buyers.

What is the benefit of focusing on this ?

Have dedicated shipping methods providers, like we have for the payment methods.

Potential solutions that will solve the problem ?

[brainstorming to list feature candidates]

Selection of a feature candidate

[value x ease matric if needed]

T-shirt size of our selected feature candidate

Metrics to measure if need is satisfied after feature is implemented

Feature owners

Epic/projet where you can follow implementation

Connected wishlist and discovery discussions*

[list precedent discussions]

I echo this need. Eventhough OFN is used by farmers & hubs in local markets, there is another group of users who need to ship local goods . I’m finding this is increasingly common in Canada for 2 reasons. 1. consumers are demanding the conveniene of items shipped to their homes, and 2. distances are large and there are many communities that want local, sustainable foods but driving to a hub is not possible.

Farmers here have told me that they are currently favouring e-commerce solutions that have integrated shipping options.

The ‘dream’ woud be that a user could select a shipper, and also have the OFN platform be able to calculate the cost (usually based on weight/size of the package), and ideally - print the shipping labels.

1 Like

I’m just re-echoing how useful this would be - especially right now with COVID-stimulated food systems. Users are rapidly looking for new shipping or delivery options, and we are not much help to them here.

Migrated to wishlist board: Hubs can understand how their customers use OFN to adapt accordingly · Issue #87 · openfoodfoundation/wishlist · GitHub