Batch Processing of Refunds

What is the need / problem ?

After an order cycle is completed the user must update all orders to reflect what was actually delivered. The BOM is a huge help to this. However after all orders are updated we then must credit the orders.

If shoppers paid by:
Stripe - this means going into each order and going to payments and pressing refund
Paypal - This means logging into paypal
Manual methods - This means bank transfers, giving money etc.
Credit (a hack on manual methods) - This happens automatically

It would be great to streamline this process… particularly for shoppers that paid by Stripe!

Who does it impact ?

Takes a significant amount of time for hub managers

What is the current impact of the problem ?

For a hub that sells about 100 orders a week this can take 30mins to one hour. That time could be spent on marketing, organising social events or REVOLUTION

What is the benefit of focusing on this ?

Potential solutions that will solve the problem ?

[brainstorming to list feature candidates]

1. A bulk action to refund in the Orders screen - only really benefits Stripe
  2. Adding Paypal refunds and then enabling the same.

Selection of a feature candidate

[value x ease matric if needed]

T-shirt size of our selected feature candidate

Metrics to measure if need is satisfied after feature is implemented

Feature owners

Epic/projet where you can follow implementation

Connected wishlist and discovery discussions*

[list precedent discussions]

would be huge even just to have batch processing just to stripe as a first step. (If we get everything working with stripe people might ditch out of paypal anyway. Here at least, the fees are the same.)

Just noting that I have the issue for extending the bulk actions available from Orders flagged as AU in the hope that a potential recruit might pick it up
https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/4436 - which would be an excellent pre-requisite for this

Also just noting that I am pretty sure that I remember that the paypal refund used to work. I have no idea how long ago but I know that it did because I remember thinking it was a miracle and being very proud of it in the early days. I have also put this comment on the issue re. paypal refunds https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/4416

I have also just made another couple of relevant issues . .
Shop can see account credit total on Customers page
Shop can see order credit (refund due) amount on Orders page

I started creating another one to process a single refund directly from the orders page, but it’s actually a bit tricky because

• if there is more than one payment method you have the ability to choose, so need to choose one for each order (or could force choice of the same one?)
  • Stripe refund only allows one partial refund at the moment - once you have done one it doesn’t default to giving you that option for the next partial refund. So could trip things up a bit?

I totally agree that this wishlist would be ace, just think we need a bit more thinking through what we could do that is manageable size