SPIKE: Bancontact payment method and new French payment method

Ok so I’m trying to see if we need to look at other payment gateways before taking a final decision.

Do you remember how you’ve found Mollie @maikel ? I don’t see it in:

The way I’ve searched for a payment gateway “challenger” so far is that I’ve looked at our current criteria which are:

1. Is providing the Bancontact payment method
  2. Maintainability / deployment cost
  3. Price

With only this scope Paybox catch my eye because this gateway was mentionned by @MyriamBoure as “cheap” here : Integrate the cheapest EU payment gateway for big hubs : Paybox Direct Plus

But they have a really bad website :scream: that has badly been updated since they got acquired by Verifone. I guess they might be bad at criteria number 2.
The only way to get their fees is apparently to call them.

@MyriamBoure is Alterconso currently using this payment gateway?

What I like about analyzing them is that we could tick two boxes with Paybox: answer the Bancontact need AND answer the need for cheaper credit card transaction :muscle:
So I went on and asked myself what were the other needs / problems we currently have in the payment area and that are NOT covered by Stripe. The big winner here is ewallet / #splitpayments !

See How to offer Mangopay as a payment method to hubs? [Split Payments]

@lin_d_hop I didn’t dive into this conversation yet, but it seems that you were involved in it quite deeply. So if you remember anything that would prevent to add Mangopay (or something similar that enables an ewallet) to this spike please shout.
My idea is not to release an ewallet right away. My point is that if we are considering adding a new payment gateway to answer the Bancontact payment, we should add a payment gateway that can answer another need in the future.
I feel pretty confident that split payments will one day be prioritized. But maybe I’m wrong and maybe the overhead work of adding a new payment gatheway is too expensive in terms of dev time currently and we need to go to the easiest solution, which is Stripe.

Other criteria that I’m wondering about :
2. World coverage? Or do we want to target Europe only?
3. Age / weight of the payment gateways. Like if it is a startup we might need to wait a couple of years. We don’t want a payment gateways that can be dead soon.I’m adding this in the maintainability criteria.

So here is an updated table with all criteria and pros and cons:

Stripe Mollie Paybox Mangopay
Bancontact YES YES YES YES
Maintainability GOOD BAD BAD GOOD?
Price in EU 1,4 % + 0,25 € 0.39 € ? 1,8% + 0,18€
Price outside EU 2,9 % + 0,25 € ? ? 2,5% + 0,25€
Ewallet NO NO NO YES
World Coverage YES YES ? YES

Looking forward to any feedbacks!