here is an update on the workstream around setting up the business analytics (=Key Performance Indicators, or Metrics) and processes & tools to measure them.
The objective is to provide a simple way to keep on track of important KPIs for everyone, compare (+ visualize) them over time and eventually being able to aggregate them on a global level and compare between instances.
Metabase KPI Dashboard “Test”
here is the link to the first version for a “Global KPI Dashboard” in Metabase:
https://data.openfoodnetwork.org.uk/dashboard/17?date_range=2020-10-01~2020-10-31 (this link is filtered for the month of october, but can be easily played for any other time range of interest)
The idea was to create a dashboard for France as a “test instance”, starting to implement & track some of the sales & user (enterprise + shopper) metrics listed here in this Analytics Overview Page in Notion: https://www.notion.so/openfoodnetwork/Analytics-b94ec8beccb349e69f939353b23a92e0
collect feedback and then replicate this dashboard for other instances.
That Analytics Overview Page lists the metrics of interest +
- respective research questions
- user types
- tool/data source etc.
that are (planned to be) implemented and shall serve as well as wiki/dictionary for defining important metrics that turned out to be not extracted that straightforward from the database (e.g. “Active Shoppers”).
These metrics include
- standard business metrics (sales, # of customers, acquisition, retention…),
- user engagement data (e.g. # of active shoppers, purchase frequency)
- impact (e.g.seller concentration, number of regenerative ag producers %…)
- and other research questions that need to be supported by quantifiable data.
Tracking this data will help us gaining insights about our users (both enterprise & shoppers) and understand the business value and impact of OFN, per instance and eventually on a global base.
- Collect Feedback to the current dashboard (who does not have access Metabase yet and would like to have a look at the Dashboard please DM me on Slack)
- Replicate Dashboard for other instances
- Collect Feedback on the List of KPIs - are important ones missing? Which other research questions are of interest?
- Further investigate (& document) database definitions for Metrics Wiki (e.g. unclarities like “Active Shoppers”, Distributors vs. Non-Distributors etc.)
- Prioritize KPIs as part of the product development process (as implementation of queries and dashboards requires dev & product ressources)
- Create tasks for setting up prioritized KPIs in Metabase & Matomo