Subscriptions: Technical Overview

Ok I’ve reached the character limit for a post (32000 apparently) so I’ll post some additional thoughts here:

Lack of a Cycle in OrderCycle

In the majority of use cases, customers who want to subscribe to an item would like to know when they will need to collect their items or when they should expect a delivery. The OFN currently has no real way of modelling a collection/delivery slot that repeats at a regular frequency. We have things called Order Cycles, but they don’t actually embody anything that could reasonably be called a ‘cycle’. They are basically just a named period of time, within which orders can be placed for a specific set of products. There is no cyclical component or concept to them, and the collection delivery time is generally specified as plain text rather than an actual date and time window.

I think there is a missing concept which at the moment is being partially stood in for by the Schedule but which really may need to be a more sophisticated concept than that. I’m unclear about exactly what form this should take, though I did put down some thoughts around the time we were starting to build Subscriptions. Unfortunately it feeds into the whole order cycle rethink which in turn feeds into the product/catalog/inventory/network nexus. So finding a small chuck to pick up to make a meaningful improvement is going to be tricky…