Order Cycles 2.0 / Schedules

Howdy @lin_d_hop, @Oliver and @pmackay,

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess it is up to us to decide. I think it introduces unnecessary complexity. The reason I included the shared element is really just to replicate existing functionality. Buying groups in Aus have tended to use a single order cycle with shared Opening and Closing times, but I don’t have a good feel for how vital this is, or whether it was simply a decision forced by the desire to share incoming product lists and fees. I guess the question is: are there any instances where multiple shops really need to have Order Cycles that are in sync with each other? The model I am proposing should allow deviations from the pattern of open and closing times defined by the Schedule to be synced across multiple shops, by altering the schedule itself, though I am yet to think this all the way through. So, basically: I am certainly not wedded to the idea of shared Schedules, in fact I would personally like to avoid sharing if possible.

Yes, I agree. I’ve only really come up with this current format in the past day or two, so it’s still a bit fresh. If we don’t need to share Schedules they can become a part of Shop Configuration rather than a separate model, so that may simplify things a bit. In terms of Configs ‘defining’ and being ‘parent’ to OCs, ‘defining’ is probably the wrong word. Configs would have_many OCs, which would be automatically created upon initialisation of the Config. I am thinking that once a Shop Config is defined its end date could be extended, thus allowing more OCs to be generated, but the start date should probably remain fixed?

My only issue with this is that we already use the term shop_profile to describe Enterprises that are in the system as a shop/hub, but which to not have a subscription for an actual OFN shopfront. ie. they are essential a placeholder for a name, and a point on a map. Also, terms like Configuration or Layout, Setup seem to describe what we want better, ie. a collection of settings which determine how your shop functions. I don’t know - I’ll keep thinking about it.

Yes, I have thought about this. What about the idea of allowing a Shop Config to define a special type of schedule that is “Always Open”, which could be open and closed manually using a big red button on the Shop Config that says “Open Now” or “Close Now” depending on the current state. There could even be a default ShopConfig set up for all new shops that makes products from the shop’s default inventory available using this type of Schedule. This would mean that as soon as new users have set up products, shipping and payment methods, they could head to the ShopConfig page, hit the “Open Now” button on the default Config that is waiting for them and their shop would go live. What do yo think?