Import invoices to Xero (summary report for export)

I’m having just so much fun testing tax. And trying to think through invoice importing into xero and accounting packages at the same time (based on Customer totals reports and the sales tax report). and guess what, it’s almost impossible to get things importing correctly the way we’ve set this up. yay.

the problem is that the importers need to know:

• the tax code for each line item, and
  • whether taxable line items include tax or not

So, having a line item that may or may not include some components of tax (e.g. a product that may be taxable or not, combined with fees that may be taxable or not) basically makes it impossible to track your sales tax correctly.

Is it correct to assume that the sales tax report that’s been built was designed for and works correctly for stroudco based hubs? and that we should not change this one because it’s working for you guys? @NickWeir @lin_d_hop @Aidan

AND/OR you are currently manually reentering stuff into accounting packages and would prefer to import? If so, please see if you think this would work for you

I think I have worked out how to do a couple of reports that will mean users can export/import accounting info that will handle tax correctly. We’d need two:

• One for summary invoices (e.g. just for accounting purposes, not to be used for packing sheets etc)

• a more detailed one with actual line items (but not with fees included) - so prices displaying differently than on the shopfront (potential customer confusion)

Unneeded line items would not appear so that user doesn’t have to remove them from the draft invoices created

Does this make sense to people? any thoughts? If it makes sense, I’ll update spec above and look for someone to build it

NB. There is no need at this point to use these invoices for Customers (unless you want to) so don’t worry too much about the confusion.