UX Upgrades

hi - have had a quick scan and will have time for a better look next week. Some initial thoughts are that this is really useful, and also very helicopter . .

It seems to feed into bigger conversations about the mix between openfoodnetwork.org and local instances, as well as how some of the more ‘informational’ functions might be used (e.g. the stuff we’re talking about / doing here)

It seems to me like we’re operating in quite a few different dimensions which is part of why the ux is confused, and with what we’re doing above we’ve added a whole lot more!!

So for example from a customer perspective, you’ve highlighted info about why it matters, broken food system, this food is good etc as well as the shopping journey itself.

From a producer perspective, there’s stuff about shopping / selling . . but actually a part of what we’re trying to do here is also start showcasing ofn as a directory e.g. even if people aren’t using it for sales . . so that needs to be clear to both the customer and enterprise signing up. AND we have to do some work on actually making it work better as a searchable directory

The challenge to me is how we take all of this and work out
a) a process for making sense of and prioritising it all
b) getting good designer/s to help make it work
c) doing required changes

I think there are multiple projects in it, but it needs to be viewed as a whole first.

What occurs to me is that we have probably gone down the track of actually making the existing site (front-end) have more going on for enterprises, incl. in Australia the links to ‘learn’ (which is about food enterprise models etc) and ‘connect’ which has both a customer part (use OFN as a directory) and an enterprise part (forum / noticeboard).

So what we might actually be talking about is thinking about a new landing page / front-end that is designed JUST for customers and isn’t trying to meet all these needs . . it might have more of the ‘why food is important’ stuff and have a stripped back, cleaner shopping experience (learning from competitors?)

Also, with the possibility of starting to embed shops into other people’s websites, we could potentially explore / improve how all the surrounding info pathways work. I’m not sure how much we can experiment with display of shopfront and checkout etc as part of this process or not

there is also still the challenge of balancing front and enterprise experience . . i suspect the same amount of $$ would get us a lot more useability jump in the back (where @MyriamBoure is talking about)? i guess it comes down to who’s paying and what their priorities are!

sorry, that’s more a stream of consciousness than a well thought out response. I think the main thing is my feeling that we have a whole lot of nested ux problems and we need some way to break them out / down a bit!

1 Like