Kicking off international partner/community monthly discussions

Thanks for your feedbacks, and sorry for the silence the last days, I was off for a week after the OuiShare Fest, needed to disconnect :wink:
Ok, so let’s move forward on that!
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try out these remote-facilitation technics, we’ll learn while doing of course, let’s be agile :wink:

Ok for sticking with Discourse, I got your point. But I guess we can keep that in the open discussions, in “governance”? It can be interesting also for newcomers to see how we organize the global governance, and how we manage those monthly meetings, what topics are discussed, no? We won’t write precise things in those spreadsheets, that’s just a tool to go through all the points, we won’t go into details here. And anyway, we want the system to be transparent :wink:

To prepare the doodle, I started looking at the time zone and I’m a bit afraid it may be hard to have a very convenient time for everyone… let’s see what we are ok with, given that it will be only one hour per month :wink: And in any case, we’ll find a solution :slight_smile: @openfoodnetwork, do you know where Eric lives in the US? I didn’t find him on Discourse.

Eric is in north carolina . . will reissue his discourse invite

I don’t think we have anyone on the west coast to worry about at the moment, so we can ditch San Francisco and that opens up some options. If we can make it not a friday night, looks like we could go for the 9pm Melbourne slot and we should be able to get a rep from each? @lawrence @NickWeir @lin_d_hop

Yes @Kirsten, I’m sorry I took me too much time to follow up on that question!
Yes, if we look at the time table, it seems that the only “reasonable” spot is:
Oslo: 13:00
London: 12:00
Melbourne: 21:00
Johannesburg: 13:00
North Carolina: 7:00

Here is a doodle with different regular day options, so that we can start those international community meetings! http://doodle.com/nnx6d6w2xtpv9y53
I answered personnaly depending on my availability for the first meeting, then we’ll manage it for the next ones, but we will be able to book the date for the next months from now. We will see if that “regular day thing” works, or if we need to make a doodle every month, but let’s try that and we’ll see if that works :slight_smile:
@lawrence @Kirsten @serenity @NickWeir @CynthiaReynolds @lin_d_hop @eric please fill it in!

Ok, so it seems that we have two options that fit everyone, great!

Second Thursday of the month (first meeting Thursday 9th July)
Second Tuesday of the month (first meeting Tuesday 14th July)

So, as we have to decide, I propose the Second Tuesday of the month! Our first meeting will be Tuesday 14th July :smile:
Please put it in your agenda, and you can already book all the second Tuesday of the month, at the time indicated above.
I will send you a recurrent google hangout invitation, but pay attention, sometimes the time difference is not well handled by google hangout.

As we said, that would be great if at least one representative of every OFN local could be here :slight_smile:

Ping @lawrence @Kirsten @serenity @NickWeir @lin_d_hop @eric @CynthiaReynolds @lisekvan, and pass the word :wink:

Hi @MyriamBoure,

As Kirsten noted on the localised branding topic (Localised branding - components to be content managed) it would be great if we could add a topic to the HO about rebranding and how this should work for local sites. There have been a few thoughts flying around the Melbourne office as the new brand was developed and implemented onto the AU site and now that this work is more or less done we have to start thinking about how it can work for other local sites. There will no doubt be some thoughts from different locations about what works best for them, and how rigid vs flexible the branding should be when it’s localised (from completely locked down all the way across to not at all, and all shades of grey in between).

Could we please add this as an agenda item? And I’d like to attend if that’s ok :smile:

Thanks!

Hi @danielle, hi everyone!

To make it simple, here is the link to the google hangout that will happen on July 14th (see time above): https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/bXlyaWFtLmJvdXJlQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ.nsfljqhjovaqq4espi6iu2ctb0
So anyone can join easily :wink:

@danielle I can send you an invitation if you give me your email adresse :wink:

For the agenda, I thought we would take 3 minutes at the begining of the HO to put together the things we want to talk about in he coming hour. The idea is that we can add things without any preparation :wink: But I guess we can open it now already if some of us already want to put things on :wink: Here’s the link.

Those who write a point on the agenda will explain it in one minute when we reach the line (we’ll take points one by one).

Cheers!

Hello, My name is Theresa Schumilas. I am a CSA farmer and post-doctoral fellow at the Laurier Centre for Sustainable Food Systems here in Ontario, Canada. My post-doc project is to launch a series of ‘experiments’ aimed at bringing sustainable food system advocates (farmers, processors, hubs…) into collaborations with programmers… to explore the potential of new internet and communication technologies in helping us realize sustainable food systems. I call my project - Farm 2.0. One of the projects I’d like to tackle is bringing OFN to Canada, and I’ve been networking and talking with partners here around that. Is it OK if I join your scheduled hangout to listen in. I should say that I am totally not technologically literate - and I’ll have to figure out the hangout thing, but if I can figure it out, can I show up?

1 Like

Hello @tschumilas ! Wahou, that is awesome to see how people from all over the world are interested in the OFN infrastructure to build sustainable food systems where they live :slight_smile: Did you already have an exchange with people from OFN? If you want we can have a first hangout, before the community hangout, just to learn more about your project and maybe answer some of your questions? So that you can not only listen, but maybe also participate in the hangout! If you want we can plan a call next week-end? 11th or 12th? Or if not possible for you on those dates, let me know when it’s more convenient for you. @Kirsten and @serenity, is it fine with you if you proceed like that? Do you want to be present in the first call?

Hi @MyriamBoure-- yes I’ve had conversations with you folks in the past - over a year ago I had contacted you to explore bringing OFN to Canada - but my doctoral work got in the way :smile: and time was limited. So - here I am again - ‘bright eyed and bushy tailed’ as we say. July 14 works, if my calculations are correct, that is 7:00 am here - which is great. I’ll skip the pre-meeting and try to dive in if thats ok with you - I’m going to be away for a few days and my schedule is kind of crazy right now. BTW - curious if you have ever heard of ‘Harvest Hand’ ? These developers are from Eastern Canada (so no where near me), but seem to have a common ethic with what we are doing. They have not been explicitly open source though, and their priority has been CSA mgmt software. But I’m thinking of linking up with them to explore some mutual projects. I’m wondering if you have had any experience linking with firms working on proprietary systems? Or is this a ‘no no’. Talk with you on the14th

Hi @tschumilas! That sounds good :slight_smile:
About firms working on proprietary systems, I don’t know about Harvest Hand, but I am currently discussing with The Food Assembly, a big player in France and other european countries, but they don’t provide only a software, they also support the hub creation and management. My view is that those kind of players could integrate their business model within OFN. For example The Food Assembly could have a “group” of hubs on the OFN platform and propose some particular support & services to the hubs of their network.
It’s not so easy, but I think it’s important to open the door for discussion and see if there is any possibility to work together instead of competing with each other. That’s my way of thinking, I don’t believe in competition anymore :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for participating to our first community hangout!
That was really impressive and great to see all of us gathered, from all around the world :smile:
With Anselm we have “cleaned” a little bit the hangout file. You can check it and complete/correct if needed.
"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14TJgSejLlq_f4qe9bbsalTHevwuBRsNGX5SHJEdN21U/edit?usp=sharing
For the points where we had some actions linked, there is a leader who is in charge to ensure that the action happens, but (s)he can ask for support if needed :slight_smile:

I suggest that we keep the same file for the next hangout and just add a new tab each month, so that we don’t mix up with different links.
Anselm @Selmo is going to invite you to the OFN global drive he has started, in which we can “move” the documents we have that are about OFN global. That will make it easier to work together on our global exciting challenges :slight_smile:

The next community hangout will be on Tuesday 11th August, same time as today:
Oslo/Paris: 13:00 - London: 12:00 - Melbourne: 21:00 - Johannesburg: 13:00 - North Carolina: 7:00
Here is the link: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/bXlyaWFtLmJvdXJlQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ.nsfljqhjovaqq4espi6iu2ctb0
Anselm will be facilitating that hangout :slight_smile:

here is a not very significant contribution from me . . the screenshot I took of all of you as a little record :slight_smile: sorry @NickWeir you just happened to be highlighted and pulling a funny face at the time!

Hi everyone! We discussed during the last community hangout about “global statistics” and updates about what is going on in each OFN local. I started a thread on that, and that would be great if we could regularly update it, so that we can all communicate on the global project. It’s a wiki, so you can all modify it and update your local community informations, and I put a link to a spreadsheet with global statistics also, that would be great if you fill it in :wink:
The source file in our new OFN global drive (please remember to put your files concerning the global community in it!)
All this is just a first suggestion and can of course be adapted!

Thanks to all who attended the 2nd global community HO yesterday ( @lin_d_hop @NickWeir @CynthiaReynolds @lisekvan).
We were just a small group, as most people are on holiday, so we just started a first round of feedback/comments/questions on the global governance design process.

For all those that want to follow or join this dicussion (@eric @lawrence @Kirsten @serenity) , please check out the notes from our HO yesterday and this document, which we based our discussions on. Both of these and more documents are in the OFN global drive.

The next hangout is scheduled for the 8th September, where we’re hoping to be able to finalise a “status quo” of roles and people currently involved in OFN.

Hi everyone!
Here are the dates for the coming community HO. Some are the regular ones, and some have been added to discuss specifically the global governance design process, topic which will also be one of the focus of the deceleration week (http://community.openfoodnetwork.org/t/global-governance-coaching-for-ofn-at-deceleration-week-5-9-oct-in-france/290/7).
Times are unchanged Oslo/Paris: 13:00 - London: 12:00 - Melbourne: 21:00 - Johannesburg: 13:00 - North Carolina: 7:00

-8th September (planned monthly HO): we will talk about the values (see first draft here) and the current roles (see model here, still in draft mode). The idea is to share a representation of “what is today”. I invite you to read and comment/edit some first reflexions on the subject here and there.
We will keep 10 min for other updates if needed.
-22nd September: we’ll give an overview on different governance tools and models that could inspire us and give us ideas (we will ask you to share your ideas and models also before that HO!). For information, I’m going to the European Organization Design Forum: http://www.eodf.eu/2015-annual-conference/. Hope it can bring some other interesting sources of inspiration!

  • 7th October: we’ll share at mid-course of the deceleration week the reflexion we had with the mentors about the current design and the different inspirations, and about what permanent reshaping processes could help us develop in a decentralized though organized way our organization, and the governance of our commons.
  • 13th October (planned monthly HO): we’ll take some time for a feedback after the deceleration week and talk about next steps + take time to talk about other subjects we need to discuss together in the monthly HO :slight_smile:
    Governance design is a permanent process that we are opening now, so we need to find then a regular pace to move forward!

Thanks in advance for writting down those dates! I’ll share the link for the hangout on that thread the day before as a reminder :smile:

1 Like

@MyriamBoure @selmo can we pls add to the agenda for 8 Sept? We have just signed interim MOU with South Africa. Can be model for interim agreements for other countries launching branded instances before we get broader governance model sorted.

COLLABORATION AGREEMENT OFN Kandu ACT v3.docx (27.9 KB) ith South Africa

Hi again everyone!
Thanks to all of you who participated to the discussion.
You will find in the tab for today’s meeting the notes/links/comments… please feel free to add comments I would have forgotten, or other comments
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14TJgSejLlq_f4qe9bbsalTHevwuBRsNGX5SHJEdN21U/edit?usp=sharing

Next HO will be 22nd September, same time!

Hi everyone
This will be part of our update for today’s HO if its happening! We’ve started to split out our numbers into 4 “projects” (Aust OFN; Software services; Global Open Source project; and Thrive - grant for capacity building community food enterprises in Aust). Just so everyone can see our current assumptions/where we’re at with money.
OFN Master Sheet - Sept 2015.xlsx (64.2 KB)

1 Like

Just a quick update after today’s global HO:

We (Lynne, Myriam & I) realise the need to find an easy, light and accessible way to communicate the work we’ve done during the DECELERATION WEEK, not to overload anyone and to give you guys a chance to contribute and co-create this with us.

So we just agreed in a little post-HO hangout :wink: that Discourse would be the best tool for sharing and allowing participation.
So here’s what we’re planning: we’ll publish, one by one over the coming weeks (maybe one a week?) the five main areas of work that we focused on last week, and introduce some of the suggestions/projects/tasks that result from each.
And we’ll create one central thread that allows access to the five sub-threads (or groups, not sure yet how best to use discourse for that - we’ll figure it out - any input?) and that allows people to follow the particular aspect(s) of this process they’re most interested in.

As a preview, the five areas are (note our fabulous titles):

  • beautiful & well-communicated VALUES BOARD
  • the wonderful OFN “CONTRIBUTORS MILL”
  • clear & light COMMUNICATION TOOLS & processes
  • the “ACCESS GAME” - a smooth way to get involved
  • lean collaboration & DECISION-MAKING PROCESSES

ping @eric @serenity @NickWeir @tschumilas @CynthiaReynolds @lawrence @MyriamBoure @lin_d_hop

1 Like