Wholesale and Tagging

Here are some ways to test the functionality of the require-login feature…

Try to view the shopfront (https://staging1.openfood.com.au/demo-hub/shop) while logged in as the following:

• A new user not logged into the OFN
  • A customer who is on the shop’s customer list (customer@example.org, hugo21).
  • A customer who is not on the shop’s customer list (bob@bobby.com hugo21)
  • A manager of the enterprise (enterprise@example.com hugo21)
  • An enterprise user who doesn’t manage that specific shop.

As the manager of the shopfront, does changing the “shopfront requires login” setting have the desired effect of changing a shopfront from public, to login only?

There are two messages alerting customers that they need to be logged in and registered. One for someone who is not logged into OFN, one for customers who aren’t on the shop’s customer list. Check you’re happy with the wording of both.

Potential rephrase of ‘shop requires login’ message:

Message to not logged in users:
"This shopfront is only accessible to customers who have registered with the shop. Already registered? Login here to access the [shop name].
Want to register to shop here? [Sign up] for an OFN account if you don’t already have one, then contact the shopfront giving them your login email. If you meet their criteria they’ll add you on their registered customer list.“
or
"This shopfront is only accessible to customers registered with the shop.
If you are registered already, [login to access] the shopfront.
If you have no account at all, [sign up] for an OFN account.
And if you have an OFN account, [contact the shop] giving them your login email address. If you meet their criteria, they’ll add you to their registered customer list.“
Message to logged in user who isn’t on the shop’s customer list:
”[shop name] requires that you register with them before shopping. Please contact to register with them.”

This all looks great to me. Sara is away until the end of this week. I will check if @Oliver is happy with this wording.
Thanks for all your work on it

Okay, the current version is pushed to production and will be included in the release today. We had some discussions about the text of the messages and would appreciate some input.

1 Like

@NickWeir @Oliver @sara to follow on from @maikel’s comment, we’re able to tweak the wording for deployment in the next release, but we thought it was important to push this live in release 1.6 rather than wait another month until 1.7. I know that you guys want to be using this ASAP so we thought it best not to delay :smiley:

1 Like

Of course, @danielle, sounds good.

@danielle, @sstead et al. I’m excited about the require-login feature! It’s important to SO many potential farmers I talk to.

One idea on wording for 1.7 would be to indicate why some prices might be confidential (more information often seems friendlier):

“Sometimes producers will undercut a competitor’s price just to be petty. So we’ve given producers the option to make prices confidential.”

"Producers don’t always get along and producers charge different prices for a lot of different reasons. And in some cases, producers

Thanks @eric, this message will not be customisable, so it’s best to keep it very general, so that it sits ok with all users. There are multiple reasons for why enterprises want a ‘login required’ shopfront, for some, it’s not for price privacy, but instead because they require membership fee payment etc. I think the kind of message you suggest would be best placed in the ‘shopfront message’, which is currently fully customisable for enterprises. In future there may be scope to have a customised ‘login required message’.

Good point! The storefront does sound like a good place for something like
that.

Executive Director
breadriot.org

@oeoeaio Testing Notes April 29th. Payment method tagging and Product tagging.

• I couldn’t replicate the removal of active shipping/payment methods. Maybe I’m going crazy.
  • If the customer is logged in before they shop, the rules are applying correctly. The main problem is when the customer fills their cart and then checks out, and only then logs in.

• Unusual use case, but if products are tagged to be Not Visible for certain users, if they don’t login until the cart, when they login, any products they have put in their cart that they should’t be able to are not removed.
  • If I click ‘inherit’ in inventory, the tag is removed. Have a think about if this is what we want. This kind of makes sense, because the main product has no tags. But there are some products I imagine that will always be tagged ‘wholesale’ but whether they’re inheriting the producer’s stock will vary. You don’t want to have to reapply the tag all the time.
  • Capital letters are being turned to lower case in all places except the tag rule settings. Because my other tags were changed to ‘vip’ this rule ‘VIP’ didn’t work.

I am in the process of setting up up our wholesale food hub and think I’ve managed to work through the process of tagging and having a log in only shopfront. I have created a Login only Enterprise. I have tagged the order cycle as wholesale, I have tagged customers as wholesale and I have created customers and tagged them as wholesale. Everything seems to be working apart from the last bit where I’ve created customers and tagged them but they still can’t log in. However, customers who have shopped previously and are subsequently tagged as wholesale can log in. But, I have just tagged a new customer and he’s not been able to log in either. What have or haven’t I done?! I will keep delving until I work it out but if anybody has a clue it would be much appreciated

Hiya @Sara, would suggest tagging one of us in your messages so that we are notified via email that you’ve added a comment for us to look at. We can be quicker that way :smile:

@oeoeaio are you able to help Sara with her issue?

Hi @Sara! Apologies I did not get back to you sooner.

Thanks for your detailed description of the problem. There is definitely something that needs tweaking here…

I think the solution to your problem is probably to delete the customer and then create them again. Could you give that a go and see if that helps?

Read on for a more detailed description of what I think the issue is…

I suspect the problem lies in the fact that users and customers are actually two different things (there is one “customer” for each shop that that “user” shops through). It is possible for a customer to exist without a user (guest customer) and vice versa (user who hasn’t shopped anywhere yet).

Due to security concerns around auto-associating existing guest customers with new users with the same email address (because we don’t confirm email ownership for normal front-end users yet) new customers are associated with existing users with the same email address but not vice versa. This means that the order in which the user and the customer are created is important, ie. for the required associations to be made, the customer needs to be created after the user.

For that reason, I suspect that deleting and recreating any customers that you are having issues with should solve your problem in the short term. Obviously none of this should be your concern in the long term and should be handled by the system in an intuitive way - we have done a bit of scoping around a refactor of the way user email addresses are confirmed and the way that users and customers are related and I am confident that the solution we have will fix this issue (and a few others).

Hi @oeoeaio,

Thanks for that and I think I’ve worked out a work around and it goes like this:

Get the customer to Join and let me know which email address they’ve used

Then I create the customer against the Wholesale Enterprise and tag them as wholesale.

Hey presto they can login to the Wholesale Enterprise and order.

That gets me going although in a bit of a roundabout sort of way but I think as there isn’t anybody else doing anything remotely similar locally we can get away with it!

Thanks for replying Rob

Trying to delete a customer created in error (somebody not following my work around) and unable to even though they haven’t placed an order yet! This is the error message.

I can’t find a way around this to get them logged in and able to see the wholesale shop. Any ideas @oeoeaio @lin_d_hop?

@Sara Which customer? Happy to take a look.

Thanks @lin_d_hop
info@racehorseinn.co.uk

hey @sstead @danielle @lin_d_hop - is ‘wholesale and tagging’ done? can i move and close this page?

Yes, it’s just the discount tag that’s not finished yes (it’s been created but tax issues have held it up).

Here is the github issue capturing the Discount Tag Functionality that is still outstanding - https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/issues/861 . This thread can now be closed.