Who are we? I want to know the people behind the names :-)

Hi @thomaz, and welcome to the OFN community! Great to read your journey and your will to get an OFN Brazil instance up and running :slightly_smiling:
Ping @edushima, Eduardo is also based in Brazil, and contacted us some time ago, I donā€™t know where you are at Eduardo at the moment :wink:
Anyway, about how to start a new instance, you have various threads on the topic, and I recommend you to look at this one: Running your own local OFN and then you can follow the linked topics. This one can also be interesting for you: How to get your local OFN platform up and running?
For the technical side, you can find information on GitHub, there is a wiki with technical documentation there: https://github.com/openfoodfoundation/openfoodnetwork/wiki
For the translation, I see that you started the Portuguese language on Transifex here: https://www.transifex.com/open-food-foundation/open-food-network/ :slightly_smiling:

If you want we can plan a skype conversation, so that I can try to answer your questions! We also have monthly global community hangouts, where we discuss between instances about some common challenges, questions, decisions to take, and we also share updates. If you want to join, the next one is this Tuesday (at 12:00 GMT), let me know and I will invite you.

Iā€™m looking forward to meeting you virtually soon!

Already connected Thomaz ! Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome, @MyriamBoure ! It was great to know we have brazilian ppl connected. @edushima and I are getting in touch, so I guess it is best to catch up with him first, then we could follow up with the global hangouts. Hoping it will be soon!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Prem. I am from Nepal but based in the US. Last year we had two high rector of earthquake in Nepal lot of people is living under poverty damage county infrastructure. I am trying to help to setup the web based platform for the local community in Nepal. Currently many people end up begging for itā€“while in our homes, restaurants, supermarkets, dining halls, businesses, and offices, so much of it is wasted. So we trying to connect each of these entity that will make food more equitably accessible to needy people in our community in Nepal. By reducing food waste, we can save money and resources, minimize natural impacts, and most importantly, move towards a world where everyone has enough to eat. Almost a year after the quakes and people still suffer the ravages of winter with inadequate shelter and food!. someoneā€™s junk will be someoneā€™s treasures! This will help make food more equitably accessible to needy people in our community and move towards a world where everyone has enough to eat.

Here the hought process is donations are posted to virtual marketplace via web. Using this information, our web platform will matches the donation with a nearby human service agency (such as a homeless shelter) orphanes home and Food Hero (volunteer driver), who then picks up and delivers the donated food. Also this will channel up with the localy registered food organization like temple, old age home, or any non profit organization to save and distribute the food to the need. Initially we have setup by using telephonic system where they call the organization to pick up extra food and distributed to the near by human services.
Now it is time to build online platform which will streamlined the process to make feeding those in need fast and easy. This will connect people with extra resources and foods to help fight hunger brings stability in the community locally. This plattform will help to address hunger locally and create global interface to the problem of hunger, allowing everyone to efficiently address the issue wherever and whenever they are.

2 Likes

Thank you @nepaliprem for this introdution :slight_smile: As discussed together on Skype, the OFN platform has not really been used yet to specifically work on food waste redistribution, but if you see how to use it for that purpose, I think that fits the values and mission we are pursuing! It will be an interesting case also for the whole community I guess. Just a question: do you want to really rework on the platform to adapt it to this specific food surplus redistribution purpose, or do you also want to allow other kinds of hubs to operate on it? Like direct sales from producers, buying groups, coops, etc.? If other people from the community have any experience using the OFN for food surplus redistribution please share!

Hi everybody!

Iā€™m Daniele, a traffic engineer based in Milan, Italy. While working for the EU-funded project U-TURN I could talk with a number of local food producers and learn their needs for more innovative tools to reach their customers. Before that, I knew just a little about ethical purchasing groups or on-farm sales and food systems alternative to the superstores. I casually found the OFN platform in internet but I immediately recognised its value for the people I was talking with.
Thanks to @MyriamBoure Iā€™ve got in touch with other wonderful Italians interested in the OFN project and together we are working to implement a local instance of OFN. Currently Iā€™m exploring the technical issues of the project, the installation and the configuration of the platform. And I want to thank you all for the tips shared in the forum.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @apicella2 :smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone.

My name is Spencer. I am from Hong Kong but moved to Thailand 6 years ago.

I started a social enterprise Go Organics (www.goorganics.co.th) here in Thailand about 2 years ago focusing on supporting small organic farmers in getting their organic produce into the market. We have also affiliated founders in Japan doing similar things (www.goorganics.jp) in promoting sustainable living and peace.

I have just joined OFN and thanks to Miriam, I have now a better understanding on OFN. I am at the planning stage of starting an OFN in Thailand. Any advice will be helpful.

Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Spencer Leung
Go Organics
Make Living & Peace Sustainable
m: +66 89 685 2808
e: spencer@goorganics.co.th
w: www.goorganics.co.th
l: https://th.linkedin.com/in/goorganics

Follow us on Facebook@goorganics.thailand

3 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™m pretty excited about open food networking and thrilled by the diverse community that ā€œassemblesā€ here! I consider ā€œbiodiversityā€ a key metric for evaluating the ā€œlifeā€ in free software projects.

As organic software gardener Iā€™ve been involved in a FoodCoApp for a small food coop in Freiburg germany. So far it is mobile (android) only and offline only and mainly used to account for food checkouts with a usb scale. Hence Iā€™m thinking about how to connect to the world wide web of food(softs) ā€¦

Anyone interested in a german playground OFN instance please talk to me :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work, collaboration and inspiring brainstorming!

Florian

2 Likes

Hi everyone
My name is pavan and I am from India, recently I have completed my under-graduate course. I came to know about OFN because of @sreeharsha. I always wanted to something for farmers in my country because now a days there are many cases of farmers committing suicide.Moreover I come from farming background. Currently Iā€™m helping @sreeharsha by testing and setting up the platform and checking whether any changes are to be made to the platform in Indian context.

2 Likes

Welcome @orangeman! Please let me know if you want to discuss more deeply about OFN Germany and your project, we can plan a skype call if needed. There has been a bit of work started also on platform interoperability by @wvengen from FoodSoft, from Germany too, maybe there is also an interesting connection here :slight_smile: Cheers!

Welcome @saipavan1994! Great to see the OFN India team developing :slight_smile: Cheers!

1 Like

@MyriamBoure Thank you for connecting!
happy to join a skype call (available except Friday)

Hello there again,

As @danielle suggested I post my introduction also here:
I got PhD, but than I was helping establishing milk processing on my parents farm. Selling on farm-markets and developing our ways to sell our product I was talking with lots of costumers and other farms. I have noticed there is big gap between those two groups. It is logistic and investment (time and money) problem to get food from farmer (with name) to customer (with name). But even more seemed to me that there is deficit in availability of information. I thought and still think; If we improve flow of information about food and needs, system would improve by itself.
Therefore I have created http://s-kmetij.si that is meant to be web directory of farms and all sort of hubs. I am using wpgeodirectory.com wordpress plugin.
Here is intro for s-kmetij.si https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oexJ66DO7kI3.
When I have learned about OFN I thought:
-that is the right community for my ideas,
-this could be right kind of software
-together we can really change way food is distributed.
I got in touch with @MyriamBoure over helo@openfoodnetwork.org, so I jet know quite some things about OFN.
I see I have even bigger plans than OFN and if I manage to make them true I and group we have to establish can be significant part of OFN initiative.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, earlier this year I read Nick Roseā€™s ā€œFair Food - Stories from a movement changing the worldā€ and was excited to learn about the Open Food Network Australia and the organizationā€™s efforts to support alternative food systems. When I visited the OFN website, I was even more interested to learn of the work @CynthiaReynolds and @MyriamBoure were doing to launch the project in Scandinavia.

I am a Canadian living in Uppsala, Sweden and have a long term interest in food and food systems. I grew up on a farm in Canada where I learned to appreciate many aspects of growing and cooking wholesome food. Opportunities to live in Germany, Japan, China, India and Sweden have expanded my passion for diverse food cultures. While studying agricultural economics at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences I was exposed to many new ideas, and a growing interest in sustainability and global food security led me to write a masterā€™s thesis on Sustainable Supply Chain Management in Chinaā€™s agri-food sector. However I am drawn to the mission of the OFN as a global collaboration helping to develop and strengthen local food networks.

I have a background in project management and operations (public sector and more recently for small entrepreneurial firms) and am interested in contributing to the development of OFN Scandinavia (including locally here in Sweden) and the global initiative.

3 Likes

Hi @WillRedekop and welcome to the OFN community! I guess you have already talked with @CynthiaReynolds and @sigmundpetersen? I heard the Scandinavian network was gathering new energies :slight_smile: On my side I have moved back to France now and is focusing on the French projet, and still contributing in global community gardening :slight_smile: Cheers!

1 Like

Hi there fellow food shakers!

I am Franz-Josef or FJ ("eff-dschƤi), born in Austria, raised in Southern Germany. I have been a lost soul for the past 7 years in Stockholm. At year-shift I am going to move to Frankfurt, Germany.

My familyĀ“s quest for health led us via many stations to ayurveda, yoga, meditation, raw food and lots of good stuff. Last year I was dreaming of opening a restaurant. Then I realised I want to go deeper and solve the root cause of what IĀ“ve been lacking here in Sweden (and even elsewhere): the lack of tasty nutrient-rich vegetables, grown small-scall and made available locally. Using strong and old seeds, rich soil and good fertilisation and care.

My life goal is not only to become self-sustained in food but also to spark a movement: the food revolution. I am working on figuring out how we can accelerate the shift to abovementioned agriculture in a profitable way.
OFN and the platform might be an important pussle piece in that equation to overcome the distribution challenge.

Despite my move to Germany I will be supporting the OFN launch in Sweden to learn and contribute. I believe we need to get good marketing and sales people in place and incentivise them in order to reach critical adoption of the platform and make it a success.

Lots of loving
/ FJ

Hi @MyriamBoure, thank you again for making these connections for me! Congrats on your move back to France and all the best with the French project. I look forward to future contact and collaboration in the global community! Cheers, Will

Welcome @fj.arnuga to the OFN community :slight_smile: Itā€™s great to read you, I think you are not the only one here thriving to transform the food system! Itā€™s great you get involved in the OFN Sweden project, and for your information, there are some people also from Germany starting to work on the OFN. The platform is not yet deployed there, but hopefully that should come soon :wink: Ping @orangeman @Selmo

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m Denise, psychology grad from Toronto, ON, Canada.
My journey to OFN started when I moved to Melbourne and met the lovely @danielle, while I was working as a QA tester.
Since then, I gained professional experience as a business analyst and solution designer, and most recently I completed studies in UX. However, my career (life) aspiration was to work for a company I believed in, and that I knew was doing something good for the world.

So that brings us to now, where I am beyond pleased to have the opportunity to volunteer my last month in Melbourne to OFN.

Thank you!

2 Likes