Product supply chain tracability

Yes, traceability is super important!
Well, in fact I thought it is priority so I created s-kmetij.si -index of Slovenian farms, hubs… . And as you start such an open directory, I thought, you get to know needs of farmers and customers and you create missing hub(s) (that’s where OFN kiks in).
But I think this two services shell run in parallel with interexchange of data. I think it may be somewhat too complex all in one.
As data would be open and in public domein frontend users wouldn’t even notice.

So in-companion to (present) OFN we should have service focused on traceability of food/ingredians/inputs so:
-There-in anyone could add entities (farm/hub/processor…).
-Confirmed ouner of entitie could list all his supplier and who he suplie what beside his description and categories.
-Customers (anyone?) could paste ratings and comments and owner could react to (quite standard)
-hubs could than plug in to this datapool from OFN. One code attached to end product would display user whole chain even to field of production or live-stock ‘CV’ if specified.
-Hubs providing 80% of their offerings tracable could applie to be labeled ‘OFN standard’ (or similar)
-Also internationalisation have to be standardised.
We remove need for certificate:
-Fairtrade as customers can review all of chain
-organic/eco and some othrs as users can rate and comment. (I personally trust more 10 revews of individuals than one certificate of for-profit)

I stll have to check all of services @Myriam have provided .

Seeing all services listed here and what I found around the web I see we have to do it on our own:
We have to create System that runs in parallel to OFN. It works like background data services for OFN. It is basic for international trading and certifications - sharable data standard mentioned here.
Each instance (farmers, hubs, consumers,…) have profile: description, products, way to connect, different categories/… One instance can connect (we are taking of presentation/visualization of chain) their business to another. When both confirm it is (obviously) shown.
We Include ALL local offerings also those of supermarkets that are obviously brought from certain farm and similar!
Community can comment, rate, evaluate, add, suggest deleting… of all and everything. Also transparent is who created/is maintaining the profile.
So we can ensure end-user can check what farmer in developing country he payed for his work (for example).
I am sure that is what we really need to get our values (especially transparency) in to life AND to transform/revolutionize food chain (people first).
What you say about need for and estimated effort to get it work like described here?
Ping @Selmo @lawrence @Kirsten @serenity @tschumilas @MyriamBoure @sigmundpetersen @johba

FYI, http://open.sourcemap.com/ is now live - here is an example for Stroudco with a few suppliers:

Some issues that are fairly obvious:

• Its time consuming to add content. I’ve contacted them to ask if the API could be used to add content.
  • Not sure if there is any way to reuse nodes, e.g. if one supplier delivers to multiple hubs.
  • The product entry is free text which seems a bit limiting. Also adding multiple items for a node seems cumbersome, I just tried comma-separated values. But that wont scale.

Despite that, very interesting IMHO.

Ok, I think the best way to handle this in an agile way is to start on a concrete case, and iterate from it, before trying to build a huge system.
I have a case.
A hub in france, Micromarché, is going to sell fruits from Spain, that are aggregated through another hub in Spain, called Biosolfruta.
In that simple case, Micromarché can have a E2E relationship with the producers that work with Biofruta, so Micromarché can display directly the products connected to the end producer.
In the OC, Micromarché can add an entreprise fee to the producers that he imports from through Biosolfruta, which would be the Biosolfruta margin (and it should be displayed as this). An interesting part would be here to allow Micromarché to add Biosolfruta entreprise fees, to really reflect the composition of the price.
So maybe there could be some functionnality where, if a hub buy products through another hub (and not directly to a producer), he can select this hub, and it appears somehow when you clic to see the origin of the product.
Like in the OC incoming products, you could have another column, “buy it through a distributor?” if yes, select from a list (in the list are the hubs that have E2E permissions with the producer), when you have selected the hub, it will appear in the shopfront under the product title (from Beautiful farm, through Super Nice Hub), and in the entreprise fees colums, if you have selected a distributor then you can add the margins of the distributor.
Of course that implies that the distributor is fully transparent about its margin…
And for that to work, it will need also to be based on some interoperable standards and processes, so that we can connect to producers in other instances and display producers catalogs from other instances in the local application… now my head is burning :slight_smile:

Anyway, that’s just a concrete case, and we can see how to build from it without reinventing the wheel :slight_smile: But I think there are various issues, especially around transparency as we still live in a world were distributors not often want to open up the producers catalogues and prices, and we also need to work with that.

Personally I won’t put that feature as a priority, as you can still explain in the product description where the product come from, and this at no cost…

Two articles on Provenance experimentation recently: https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/sep/07/blockchain-fish-slavery-free-seafood-sustainable-technology?CMP=share_btn_tw and https://digital.blogs.coop/2016/09/15/provenance-alpha/.

1 Like

The Open Sourcemap website is useful!
Also check out Places to Eat Near Me (https://places-to-eat-near-me.com/) it might help you.