Initial set-up and configuration

Continuing the discussion from Running your own OFN (as Super-Admin):

Once you have your brand spanking new OFN, you’re ready to start getting things set-up.

You are likely to have one super-admin user . . so first things first…

When you’re logged in as super-admin, click on ‘configuration’ in the top blue menu.

Configuration

General Settings
Check:

• Site name and URL

Mail Methods

• Will be set up already

Image Setting

• Will be set up already

Tax categories, tax rates, tax settings

• Create your tax categories in ‘tax categories’. This is just the name of the categories.
  • In ‘tax rate’ you can apply the calculator to the ‘tax categories’ you have created.
  • In tax settings, you can select if the tax selection is compulsory, if it is applied to shipping and billing
    For your reference, the image below shows Australia’s flat rate 10% tax in ‘tax rate’

Zones, Countries States

Payment Methods

• Allow users to create their own payment methods. Don’t need to do anything as super-admin.

Taxonomies

You need to have product categories set-up before you can start creating products, as every Product must have a product category.

=> Configuration / Taxonomies

Any taxonomies, and entries within them, that you create will become available as Product Categories to attach to products. We HIGHLY recommend that you keep them high-level . . these product categories will become the filters at the top of your list views and shop-front and you do not want too many in use across your site

You can attach icons to product categories

*Shipping methods

shipping categories

• This is where you can create optional shipping categories to be applied to products. Such as ‘refrigerated’. Any categories created here can be applied to products when you start creating products.

Inventory settings

• In Australia neither of these options are selected.

Analytics tracker.

• You can install an analytics tracker here. Non-essential.

CMS Admin

• This tab is no longer active. Ignore.

Enterprise Fees

• Super-admin can ignore this tab. Enterprises should create their own enterprise fees.

Content
This is where you can customise some pages. See further instrcutions here… http://community.openfoodnetwork.org/t/configuration-content/307

Accounts and Billing

Producer and Product Properties

Read more details on how these work and the kind of things to set them to. The Australian set are shown below - these are the options enterprise users can choose from

To set up, go to

=> Products / Properties

BE CAREFUL: on the product page, when you add properties to a product through your super-admin account, you are not proposed the existing list of properties, you have to start typing for a suggestion to appear, and you are not blocked if you write a new property, which will be added to the whole properties list… so there is a high risk of creating duplicates, that then will be proposed in the general list and generate confusion! So the easiest way to avoid mistakes is to always use a regular “user account” when working on tasks related to hubs and products administration. Don’t add products when using your super-admin account :wink:

Users

You will have a super-admin user. We recommend that you create some Enterprise Users to start setting up, especially if you’re setting up Hubs (read more about Users here. Getting your Users and Enterprises right will save a lot of manual fiddling around later.

e.g.

• Create a User (click users in the blue menu, then new user)
    • set their # of allowed Enterprises to >1 (e.g. 10)
    • if you click the ‘admin’ box, it will give this user super-admin permission. Create some non super admin users.
  • Create an Enterprise (click enterprises, + new enterprise)
    • Once you have created a users, you can make them the owner of this new enterprise.
    • set type Any to make it a Hub (read more about Enterprise Types) and how to manage them
  • Login as that new User
    • now creating additional Producers and Hubs will automatically link these new Enterprises to your first Hub. more about auto-E2E-links

Input Data

Enterprises

NB. You MUST complete the email validation from enterprise confirmation emails. These are sent to the nominated contact email for an enterprise, and the enterprise will not be visible or useable in an Order Cycle until that email has been verified.

NOW you are ready to start building up your working enterprises!

1. Create Producers
  • profiles
  • products and variants
  1. Create Hubs
  • make sure you create shipping and payment methods to make these valid
  1. Order Cycles

Keep smiling :slight_smile:

This initial configuration can be a bit painful: you are not yet used to the interface, and there can be some bugs also in this “super admin zone”. It’s better to prepare the informations you want to put in before entering them (categories and properties) to avoid multiple modifications. If you experience a bug, try in another browser, that may work better!

1 Like

had a problem setting up order cycles. I had to go and change the payment method to Production instead of Development. That seems to have fixed it.

@openfoodnetwork on Mozilla firefox I can’t see the child in the taxonomies tree… In “products” for example, I see the first level of child, but when I click on the small arrow in front of “Fresh produce” for example, it turns, turns, turns, but never show the childs… I tried on Google Chrome and it works… I guess there is problem with Firefox…

@openfoodnetwork It is very frustrating! The systems bugs all the time when we want to delete a product property for example (not use for any products of course), when I do it on Mozilla Firefox it shows the problem cat (see below) and when I do it in Google Chrome I manage to delete it… I don’t know if that’s the only bugs with Firefox, but it may be a problem for users as well… I’ll just move to Chrome to work within OFN, but it’s frustrating :wink:

It’s doing the same now with a product category that I want to delete (I have just created it and made a mistake…) and I got this error message from the server : “The server returned an error. The requested change has not been accepted and the tree has been returned to its previous state, please try again.” I tried in Chrome and Firefox, I deleted all the products in case it was linked, I tried to rename it “others” so that we can move on, but there is no way to delete this product category from the “products” tree…

brilliant - thank you @CynthiaReynolds for working that out! Yes, your system is ‘live’ in production and you don’t have a staging server, so if you have an option choose production!

@maikel has pushed a fix to general firefox javascript bug that is fixing up a bunch of annoying things like this. I haven’t tested this one in particular, but hopefully the new push will fix it. The next question is when / how we handle upgrades for you. I will email Raf and @pmackay might have an idea on how long it takes to just upgrade to the next version? I’m suspecting that we will only do very infrequently . . so you will probably just have to live with firefox bug for now - sorry!

as for the cats - yes, these sections are a bit shaky because we have done very little to the underlying spree. However, they are also a low priority to fix because they only affect site admin, and really only in the set-up phase - so there are so many other things to work on. Have you got fields in there that you now really need to remove, or you can rename them to ones you actually want?

Perhaps it would be useful to put a note in the above documentation about how this is a bit painful, so for future users to make sure they put in the ones they want to start with and not make ‘test’ ones if avoidable. Sorry my annoying ones would have got in the way!!

With product properties - same deal - we will get to fixing it, but far from top of the queue. can you just edit the ones you don’t want to ones you do for now?

Thank you @openfoodnetwork for your answer :slight_smile:

No issue, I just wanted to report bugs also on the go to let you know what we were experiencing, but it was probably not the good place to do it (should we mention in Support or Bugs those kind of things?). We can sort this out, and I have renamed the things that I couldn’t delete even in Google Chrome “other” so that they don’t bother us… If it’s only for admin and initial set-up, it’s not a priority, I totally understand :smile:
I’ll contribute in the above documentation then :wink:
Thanks for your answer!

Or should we post those kind of bugs on Github? I’m just navigating there now and discovering it… or is it only for developers and we just work in Support and Bugs on Discourse?

thanks @openfoodnetwork
I was not aware that our instance would only have a Live version. I had assumed Staging was part of the install. It will not be long until we are going to need a place to let the newcomers play before they go live. What do we do about this?

I think @CynthiaReynolds we had an answer this morning, what I understood is that the staging server is more to test new functionalities before they go live in production… But I’m not sure there is a server for new hubs to test themselves without being visible? (unless they choose not to be visible, but then it’s hard to see if their order cycle is woring ;-)) Am I write or do the current staging servers work for testing purpose for hubs also? I have the impression that on the UK version there are lots of “test” hubs which are visible… I don’t think it’s a problem if we ask the hubs which are testing to use a “hub property = test” (see other discussion here:Should hubs have properties?)… so that by default the “test” hubs don’t appear in the “hubs” page…

If you set a hub to ‘not visible’ it will not show up on the map or in the list searches, but you can still go to the shopfront using the direct url. In this way a Hub can set itself up, test order cycle etc without anyone knowing it is there. If they actually only want people with the link to shop with them, they can just keep themselves invisible.

Sounds good! I think that’s all what we needed, thank you :slight_smile: